From: Stephen Leake on
tonyg <tonythegair(a)googlemail.com> writes:

> On 30 June, 09:34, tonyg <tonytheg...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I am calling this gnade function in the mysql package to get some
>> debug info

Please don't use the GNADE MySQL package. It is severly broken.

GNADE ODBC and SQLite work well. You can access a MySQL database via
ODBC.

--
-- Stephe
From: J-P. Rosen on
Ludovic Brenta a �crit :
> Maybe you should use the ODBC interface instead; it is more stable
> than the MySQL-specific API.

I concur; I have an application that runs ODBC over MySQL (with the
MySQL ODBC connector), and never had any problem.

J-P. Rosen (rosen(a)adalog.fr)
From: tonyg on
On 1 July, 14:38, "J-P. Rosen" <ro...(a)adalog.fr> wrote:
> Ludovic Brenta a écrit :> Maybe you should use the ODBC interface instead; it is more stable
> > than the MySQL-specific API.
>
> I concur; I have an application that runs ODBC over MySQL (with the
> MySQL ODBC connector), and never had any problem.

>            J-P. Rosen (ro...(a)adalog.fr)
> Visit Adalog's web site athttp://www.adalog.fr

Thanks for your help Guys, now I know :), the mysql machine I am using
is remote, I assume I will have to install a mysql odbc connector on
it, is there any extra setup I will have to do for the local machine I
writing the code for ?
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov on
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 00:05:40 -0700, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 01:45:09 -0700 (PDT), tonyg
> <tonythegair(a)googlemail.com> declaimed the following in comp.lang.ada:
>

>> Thanks for your help Guys, now I know :), the mysql machine I am using
>> is remote, I assume I will have to install a mysql odbc connector on
>> it, is there any extra setup I will have to do for the local machine I
>> writing the code for ?
>
> Hypothesizing, as I don't have experience with ODBC other than via
> Python... I /think/ the ODBC connector would go one the local machine --
> the connector "knows" how to talk to a MySQL engine, and that should
> include handling a connection string that specifies a remote engine. It
> is just the local application that needs access to the local ODBC layer
> for translation...

Yes. The thing is called "data source." Data sources are configured for a
specific ODBC driver, in this case MySQL ODBC driver. Under Windows it is
managed under Control Panel -> Administrative Tasks -> Data Sources. Under
Linux it is usually unixODBC configuration.

When you configure the data source, then depending on the driver you
specify the server's host, IP port, user name, password etc.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: tonyg on
On Jul 3, 11:07 am, "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mail...(a)dmitry-kazakov.de>
wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 00:05:40 -0700, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 01:45:09 -0700 (PDT), tonyg
> > <tonytheg...(a)googlemail.com> declaimed the following in comp.lang.ada:
>
> >> Thanks for your help Guys, now I know :), the mysql machine I am using
> >> is remote, I assume I will have to install a mysql odbc connector on
> >> it, is there any extra setup I will have to do for the local machine I
> >> writing the code for ?
>
> >    Hypothesizing, as I don't have experience with ODBC other than via
> > Python... I /think/ the ODBC connector would go one the local machine --
> > the connector "knows" how to talk to a MySQL engine, and that should
> > include handling a connection string that specifies a remote engine. It
> > is just the local application that needs access to the local ODBC layer
> > for translation...
>
> Yes. The thing is called "data source." Data sources are configured for a
> specific ODBC driver, in this case MySQL ODBC driver. Under Windows it is
> managed under Control Panel -> Administrative Tasks -> Data Sources. Under
> Linux it is usually unixODBC configuration.
>
> When you configure the data source, then depending on the driver you
> specify the server's host, IP port, user name, password etc.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dmitry A. Kazakovhttp://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

Thanks for the detailed and informative replys Guys, looks like my way
forward after Gnatcoll seemed to be mysql less :)