From: tonyg on
I am calling this gnade function in the mysql package to get some
debug info

Put_Line(To_String(String_Field (TheDatabase, TheHeaterQuery, 1)));

it unfortunately hangs though and the task stops

I am thinking perhaps the whole task has either hung or terminated
without telling me.

Would gnat tell me if this task had crashed?
From: Ludovic Brenta on
tonyg wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> I am calling this gnade function in the mysql package to get some
> debug info
>
> Put_Line(To_String(String_Field (TheDatabase, TheHeaterQuery, 1)));
>
> it unfortunately hangs though and the task stops
>
> I am thinking perhaps the whole task has either hung or terminated
> without telling me.
>
> Would gnat tell me if this task had crashed?

If you actually run the Put_Line in a task (with the Ada keyword
"task") then the language rules say that any exceptions will silently
cause the task to terminate. You should add an exception handler, log
the exception and decide whether or not to terminate the task.

You can also run your program in the debugger.

--
Ludovic Brenta.
From: tonyg on
On 30 June, 09:34, tonyg <tonytheg...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> I am calling this gnade function in the mysql package to get some
> debug info
>
> Put_Line(To_String(String_Field (TheDatabase, TheHeaterQuery, 1)));
>
> it unfortunately hangs though and the task stops
>
> I am thinking perhaps the whole task has either hung or terminated
> without telling me.
>
> Would gnat tell me if this task had crashed?

I put the code in a straight procedure and I get a constraint error
which is

raised CONSTRAINT_ERROR : gnu-db-mysql.adb:883 invalid data

I am wondering what field types are good to use in a ada mysql
database connection and what I am doing wrong here - has anybody any
ideas ?
From: Ludovic Brenta on
tonyg wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> On 30 June, 09:34, tonyg <tonytheg...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I am calling this gnade function in the mysql package to get some
>> debug info
>>
>> Put_Line(To_String(String_Field (TheDatabase, TheHeaterQuery, 1)));
>>
>> it unfortunately hangs though and the task stops
>>
>> I am thinking perhaps the whole task has either hung or terminated
>> without telling me.
>>
>> Would gnat tell me if this task had crashed?
>
> I put the code in a straight procedure and I get a constraint error
> which is
>
> raised CONSTRAINT_ERROR : gnu-db-mysql.adb:883 invalid data
>
> I am wondering what field types are good to use in a ada mysql
> database connection and what I am doing wrong here - has anybody any
> ideas ?

Looking at gnu-db-mysql.adb:883 (for gnade 1.6.1 or 1.6.2) indicates
that your variable TheHeaterQuery is not initialized.

--
Ludovic Brenta.
From: tonyg on
On 30 June, 10:23, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...(a)ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> tonyg wrote on comp.lang.ada:
>

> > On 30 June, 09:34, tonyg <tonytheg...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> I am calling this gnade function in the mysql package to get some
> >> debug info
>
> >> Put_Line(To_String(String_Field (TheDatabase, TheHeaterQuery, 1)));
>
> >> it unfortunately hangs though and the task stops
>
> >> I am thinking perhaps the whole task has either hung or terminated
> >> without telling me.
>
> >> Would gnat tell me if this task had crashed?
>
> > I put the code in a straight procedure and I get a constraint error
> > which is
>
> > raised CONSTRAINT_ERROR : gnu-db-mysql.adb:883 invalid data
>
> > I am wondering what field types are good to use in a ada mysql
> > database connection and what I am doing wrong here - has anybody any
> > ideas ?
>
> Looking at gnu-db-mysql.adb:883 (for gnade 1.6.1 or 1.6.2) indicates
> that your variable TheHeaterQuery is not initialized.
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

Do you have some example code I can take a look at that retrieves a
string from a database?