From: Artist on
This is what happens when I attempt an upgrade:

~# aptitude safe-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
mysql-server-5.1{a}
The following partially installed packages will be configured:
mysql-server
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
E: I wasn't able to locate file for the mysql-server-5.1 package. This
might mea
n you need to manually fix this package.
E: I wasn't able to locate file for the mysql-server-5.1 package. This
might mea
n you need to manually fix this package.
E: Internal error: couldn't generate list of packages to download

So I attempt to install the missing mysql-server-5.1:

~# aptitude install mysql-server-5.1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
mysql-server-core-5.1{a}
mysql-server-5.1
The following partially installed packages will be configured:
mysql-server
The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
bsd-mailx heirloom-mailx mailutils mailx
1 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/11.7MB of archives. After unpacking 131kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] Y
WARNING: untrusted versions of the following packages will be installed!

Untrusted packages could compromise your system's security.
You should only proceed with the installation if you are certain that
this is what you want to do.

mysql-server-5.1 mysql-server-core-5.1

Do you want to ignore this warning and proceed anyway?
To continue, enter "Yes"; to abort, enter "No": Yes
Writing extended state information... Done
Preconfiguring packages ...
dpkg: mysql-server-5.1: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you
request:
froxlor depends on mysql-server; however:
Package mysql-server is not configured yet.
Package mysql-server-5.1 which provides mysql-server is to be removed.
dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.1 (--remove):
Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
reinstall it before attempting a removal.
mysql-server-5.1
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mysql-server:
mysql-server depends on mysql-server-5.1; however:
Package mysql-server-5.1 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing mysql-server (--configure):
mysql-server
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done

I get similar errors when I execute the command:
aptitude reinstall mysql-server-5.1

I do not know where to go from here. Any help is appreciated.

--
If you desire to respond directly remove the "sj." from the domain name
part of my email address. It is a spam jammer.
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On May 17, 8:01 am, Artist <Art...(a)sj.speakeasy.net> wrote:
> [...]
>   reinstall it before attempting a removal.
>   mysql-server-5.1
> A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mysql-server:
>   mysql-server depends on mysql-server-5.1; however:
>    Package mysql-server-5.1 is not configured yet.
> dpkg: error processing mysql-server (--configure):
>   dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>   mysql-server
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Writing extended state information... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
>
> I get similar errors when I execute the command:
> aptitude reinstall mysql-server-5.1
>
> I do not know where to go from here. Any help is appreciated.

Well, you could mention what your base OS is, and whether you use
"development" repositories or out-of-band packages for various MySQL
components. I'm not personally running Debian right now, but there may
not *be* an inband mysql-server-5.1. What versions are actually
available if you browse the upstream repostories?
From: Artist on
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> [...]
>> dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>> mysql-server
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> Reading extended state information
>> Initializing package states... Done
>> Writing extended state information... Done
>> Reading task descriptions... Done
>>
>> I get similar errors when I execute the command:
>> aptitude reinstall mysql-server-5.1
>>
>> I do not know where to go from here. Any help is appreciated.
>
> Well, you could mention what your base OS is, and whether you use
> "development" repositories or out-of-band packages for various MySQL
> components. I'm not personally running Debian right now, but there may
> not *be* an inband mysql-server-5.1. What versions are actually
> available if you browse the upstream repostories?

The OS is Debian Lenny. I do not use development repositories. I will
browse the upstream repositories and get back to you.

Right now MySQL is not running and I cannot get it to run.

--
To reply directly remove the sj. from my email address. This is a spam
jammer.
From: Artist on
> Well, you could mention what your base OS is, and whether you use
> "development" repositories or out-of-band packages for various MySQL
> components. I'm not personally running Debian right now, but there may
> not *be* an inband mysql-server-5.1. What versions are actually
> available if you browse the upstream repostories?

I found mysql-server-5.1 in backports here:
http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/mysql-server

And the latest stable version, which is 5.0, here:
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/mysql-server

I did not intend that there be upgrades to anything other than stable
versions. So the aptitude's attempt to upgrade to the 5.1 backport, or
sid, or whatever, is not what I want. How to I prevent upgrades to
anything other than stable versions and repair the 5.0 installation?

What is meant by "inband" and "outband" ?

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On May 18, 1:06 am, Artist <Art...(a)sj.speakeasy.net> wrote:
> > Well, you could mention what your base OS is, and whether you use
> > "development" repositories or out-of-band packages for various MySQL
> > components. I'm not personally running Debian right now, but there may
> > not *be* an inband mysql-server-5.1. What versions are actually
> > available if you browse the upstream repostories?
>
> I found mysql-server-5.1 in backports here:http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/mysql-server
>
> And the latest stable version, which is 5.0, here:http://packages.debian.org/lenny/mysql-server
>
> I did not intend that there be upgrades to anything other than stable
> versions. So the aptitude's attempt to upgrade to the 5.1 backport, or
> sid, or whatever, is not what I want. How to I prevent upgrades to
> anything other than stable versions and repair the 5.0 installation?
>
> What is meant by "inband" and "outband" ?

Yes. it is. Take a good look at your aptitude setup: are you pointing
to both stable, and backports? I encounter similar issues in the RHEL
or Fedora world when I pick and choose from different development
repositories: they may each be consistent with the main released
codeline, but introduce fascinating discrepancies with each other. In
this cae, well, you seem to have gotten a messy and inconsistent
package installation from backports. I'd rip out your MySQL and start
over.