From: zaman on
Hi All ,

I want to know enable 32-bit IO-support on my SATA hard drive
using hdparm . But before I enable 32-bit support , I want to know
whether my hard drive supports 32-bit IO or not.

I tried the -I option with hdparm , but it is not telling clearly
whether it supports 32-bit or not.

The following is the output from the hard drive of my system
(hdparm -I ) .

=====
Commands/features:
Enabled Supported:
* NOP cmd
* READ BUFFER cmd
* WRITE BUFFER cmd
* Host Protected Area feature set
* Look-ahead
* Write cache
* Power Management feature set
Security Mode feature set
* SMART feature set
* FLUSH CACHE EXT command
* Mandatory FLUSH CACHE command
* Device Configuration Overlay feature set
* 48-bit Address feature set
(is it telling that the disk supports 48-bit IO)
Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
SET MAX security extension
* DOWNLOAD MICROCODE cmd
* General Purpose Logging feature set
* SMART self-test
* SMART error logging
=====

Tried smartctl with the -a option also , but no luck .

Any help will be highly appreciated to determine whether the disk
supports 32 bit IO ?

Thanks
-Bz
From: Pascal Hambourg on
Hello,

zaman a �crit :

> I want to know enable 32-bit IO-support on my SATA hard drive
> using hdparm . But before I enable 32-bit support , I want to know
> whether my hard drive supports 32-bit IO or not.

32-bit support is not related to the drive but to the host adapter.
Besides, it is relevant only for IDE (parallel ATA) PIO modes, not for
(U)DMA modes nor SATA. In short, you don't need to care about that.
From: zaman on
On May 18, 7:16 pm, Pascal Hambourg <boite-a-s...(a)plouf.fr.eu.org>
wrote:

Thanks fr the reply .

> Hello,
>
> zaman a écrit :
>

> >    I want to know enable 32-bit IO-support on my SATA hard drive
> > using hdparm . But before I enable 32-bit support , I want to know
> > whether my hard drive supports 32-bit IO or not.
>
> 32-bit support is not related to the drive but to the host adapter.
> Besides, it is relevant only for IDE (parallel ATA) PIO modes, not for
> (U)DMA modes nor SATA. In short, you don't need to care about that.

The manual page of hdparm says "get/set SATA/IDE device parameters" .
So , the tuning applies to SATA drive also or I am not
getting what you are trying to say .

Thanks
-Bz
From: Pascal Hambourg on
zaman a �crit :
> On May 18, 7:16 pm, Pascal Hambourg <boite-a-s...(a)plouf.fr.eu.org>
> wrote:
>
>> zaman a �crit :
>>
>>> I want to know enable 32-bit IO-support on my SATA hard drive
>>> using hdparm . But before I enable 32-bit support , I want to know
>>> whether my hard drive supports 32-bit IO or not.
>>
>> 32-bit support is not related to the drive but to the host adapter.
>> Besides, it is relevant only for IDE (parallel ATA) PIO modes, not for
>> (U)DMA modes nor SATA. In short, you don't need to care about that.
>
> The manual page of hdparm says "get/set SATA/IDE device parameters" .

The manual page also says "-c Query/enable (E)IDE 32-bit I/O support".
(E)IDE (i.e. parallel ATA) only, not SATA.

> So , the tuning applies to SATA drive also

Not all settings apply to all kinds of host adapter/disk. PIO and DMA
mode settings are also specific to parallel ATA.

There is only one situation where 32-bit support would apply to a SATA
disk, when the SATA host adapter is in legacy IDE compatibility mode and
DMA is disabled (-d0) so PIO is used. But you don't want to be in such a
situation, because performance would probably be awful.
From: Matt Giwer on
On 05/18/2010 02:22 AM, zaman wrote:
> Hi All ,
> I want to know enable 32-bit IO-support on my SATA hard drive
> using hdparm . But before I enable 32-bit support , I want to know
> whether my hard drive supports 32-bit IO or not.

Have you tried the manufacturer's website?

--
If there is a god of the gaps the question naturally arise as to how wide
the gap. Clearly it is less than one Planck length. The question is how much
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: mysql-server Upgrade Fails
Next: apache and php