From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:33:58 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:

> Antoine Pitrou <solipsis(a)pitrou.net> writes:
>
>> Le Thu, 28 Jan 2010 00:19:24 +0000, Steven D'Aprano a écrit :
>> > 4. Python 3 will make you irresistible to women.
>> >
>> > FALSE - Python 3 coders are no more likely to get a date than any
>> > other programmer.
>>
>> They spend less time coding, so they /can/ get more "dates" (what a
>> strange English word) :-)
>
> Perhaps Steven could tell you about a lovely Australian meaning for the
> word “date”.

This is a family list, so perhaps I shouldn't. :)

In Australia slang, "date" is short for "date hole", which is the part of
the anatomy which is also known as "the [one] brown eye". In parts of the
US, it is also known as the "corn hole", and in Cockney rhyming slang it
is a jam role.

I trust I don't need to be any more explicit...

--
Steven
From: Ben Finney on
Steven D'Aprano <steve(a)REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> writes:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:33:58 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Perhaps Steven could tell you about a lovely Australian meaning for
> > the word “date”.
>
> This is a family list, so perhaps I shouldn't. :)
>
> In Australia slang, "date" is short for "date hole", which is the part
> of the anatomy which is also known as "the [one] brown eye". In parts
> of the US, it is also known as the "corn hole", and in Cockney rhyming
> slang it is a jam role.
>
> I trust I don't need to be any more explicit...

I think the reason “date” was initially used is because dates are most
familiar to us as fleshy, dark brown, wrinkled, compressed points.

My interests in etymology and scatology unite here.

--
\ “In the long run, the utility of all non-Free software |
`\ approaches zero. All non-Free software is a dead end.” —Mark |
From: Steve Holden on
Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:33:58 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
>
>> Antoine Pitrou <solipsis(a)pitrou.net> writes:

>>> They spend less time coding, so they /can/ get more "dates" (what a
>>> strange English word) :-)
>> Perhaps Steven could tell you about a lovely Australian meaning for the
>> word “date”.
>
> This is a family list, so perhaps I shouldn't. :)
>
> In Australia slang, "date" is short for "date hole", which is the part of
> the anatomy which is also known as "the [one] brown eye". In parts of the
> US, it is also known as the "corn hole", and in Cockney rhyming slang it
> is a jam role.
>
> I trust I don't need to be any more explicit...

My God, and I just nominated you for membership of the PSF.

Trust an Australian to descend to normally unplumbed depths (pun
intended) the very second you stake your reputation on them. I guess
that means I know my place ...

there-goes-my-american-citizenship-ly y'rs - steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

From: alex23 on
Terry Reedy <tjre...(a)udel.edu> wrote:
> This statement was to counter the 'myth' that US was only targeted at
> 2.x when the current situation is quite the opposite.

Not so much 'myth' as 'outdated information', they were very clear
that 2.x was the initial target.

> In particular, several people said that the speed/space traceoff
> should be optional, and that compilation 'without llvm' should really
> be without, not just with llvm present but disabled. Instead of arguing,
> Colin went ahead and patched the build process to make it be this way.

Ah, that's excellent. The impression being given off is that it's a
total replacement.

> I have no idea. It will have to improve its speedup more before
> adoption. I will not be surprised if that happens.

It's not so much about being surprised or not, it's wanting actual
evidence and not just claims, and moreso _extensive real world usage_
before it's integrated. This seems far more intimate a change than
adding a module to the stdlib, I expect it to have at _least_ the
evaluation time & vague consensus of approval expected of those.

> US is not a new or separate interpreter. It will be an optional jit
> replacement for one component of CPython, the eval loop. All the code
> for builting functions, types, and modules will be untouched, as will
> their big O performance characteristics.

As long as there aren't any related decreases in performance in other
areas, I'll be happy.

> If you can still have a binary free of the traceoff, why would you care?

Well, I didn't know I could, so now I don't quite as much :)

> They claim they have pretty well fixed that. They know that complete
> Windows support, including 64 bit versions, is a necessity.

Maybe I'll be a lot more convinced after the Q4 report.

The 'incomplete' Windows support may not be as big an issue as I
thought, it seems to refer to a lack of support for older Windows
versions rather than an incomplete implementation on the supported
ones.

Cheers, Terry, this addressed a lot of my concerns, although I'm still
keen to see more facts & real-world usage over custom-crafted
benchmarks and enthusiastic claims.
From: Tim Roberts on
John Nagle <nagle(a)animats.com> wrote:

>Arguably, Python 3 has been rejected by the market. Instead, there's
>now Python 2.6, Python 2.7, and Python 2.8. Python 3 has turned into
>a debacle like Perl 6, now 10 years old.

Although I happen to be one of the folks who are reluctant to switch to
Python 3, I have to say that this comparison is entirely unfair. Python 3
exists in the wild. It has been released, and has even had a couple of
updates. Eventually, it will prevail. Resistance is futile, you WILL be
assimilated.

Perl 6, on the other hand, is still fantasyware a decade after its
announcement. It is, for the most part, THE canonical example of the wrong
way to conduct a development effort.
--
Tim Roberts, timr(a)probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.