From: Anssi Saari on
Daniel Fetchinson <fetchinson(a)googlemail.com> writes:

>> 1. Python 3 is supported by major Linux distributions.
>>
>> FALSE - most distros are shipping with Python 2.4, or 2.5 at best.
>
> This latter statement is false, Fedora 11 and 12 come with python 2.6.

How does your mention of one distro counter that claim? Personally,
I'd like to see a study of what version of Python ships with what
Linux distribution. Say, include the top 100 distros from
distrowatch.com? I think there may a surprising number of distros that
ship with no version of Python what so ever.
From: Benjamin Kaplan on
On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Anssi Saari <as(a)sci.fi> wrote:
> Daniel Fetchinson <fetchinson(a)googlemail.com> writes:
>
>>> 1.  Python 3 is supported by major Linux distributions.
>>>
>>>      FALSE - most distros are shipping with Python 2.4, or 2.5 at best.
>>
>> This latter statement is false, Fedora 11 and 12 come with python 2.6.
>
> How does your mention of one distro counter that claim? Personally,
> I'd like to see a study of what version of Python ships with what
> Linux distribution. Say, include the top 100 distros from
> distrowatch.com? I think there may a surprising number of distros that
> ship with no version of Python what so ever.
> --

Just from a quick look, 6 of the top 10 distros on distrowatch have
Python 2.6 including all of the top 4.

From: Carl Banks on
On Jan 29, 12:25 am, "Martin v. Loewis" <mar...(a)v.loewis.de> wrote:
> > Well, I'd consider that an official release.  Note that I didn't claim
> > there was no hope PSF wouldn't change it's mind on 2.8.
>
> I'd like to point out that the PSF formally doesn't have any say in
> this.

Doesn't PSF own the Python trademark? Then it has to have a say, not
over whether someone can fork the project or make another official
release, but over whether they can do so and still call it Python.

Carl Banks
From: Blog on
On 1/28/2010 8:44 AM, Paul Rubin wrote:
> Steve Holden<steve(a)holdenweb.com> writes:
>> Kindly confine your debate to the facts and keep the snide remarks to
>> yourself. Like it or not Python 3 is the future, and unladen swallow's
>> recent announcement that they would target only Python 3 represented a
>> ground-breaking advance for the language.
>
> My take on things is that doing unladen swallow really "right" will
> require yet more incompatible changes; i.e., the result will either
> still leave quite a bit of performance on the table, or else it won't be
> compatible with the current specification of Python 3 and they'll
> presumably have to call it Python 4. And if Python 4 is as good as I
> believe it could possibly be, then it might get wide acceptance before
> Python 3 really has all that much uptake. If I have to accept
> incompatibility anyway, and Python 4 gives huge improvements while
> Python 3's improvements are tiny or moderate, why not skip over Python 3?

There's a prime example - it's called Windows Vista! ;)

From: Ben Finney on
Blog <Blogtest77(a)gmail.com> writes:

> (Debian does ship with 2.5, but the next major release "sid' is due
> out in Q2)

Sid is the perpetual development playground (“unstable”), never released
as a suite, but a proving ground for packages to determine their fitness
for going to the next level of testing.

The next-to-be-released suite is Squeeze (currently “testing”), which
has Python 2.5 (the default 'python') and Python 2.6.

--
\ “If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of |
`\ danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, |