From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain>

| On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 16:10:58 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>> From: "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain>

>> | Just install a 5.25" drive. XP should see it and read it without a
>> | problem.

>> | But it will take a *long* time to read 2000 diskettes.

>> Be hard to find and have an interface for one.

| I just did a web search for 5.25" floppy drive. I quickly found
| several places that sold them.

Cool.

Now he needs a floppy interface and BIOS that can handle that old standard.

--
Dave

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:18:07 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

> From: "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain>
>
> | On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 16:10:58 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
> | <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
> >> From: "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain>

> >> Be hard to find and have an interface for one.
>

> | I just did a web search for 5.25" floppy drive. I quickly found
> | several places that sold them.
>
> Cool.
>
> Now he needs a floppy interface and BIOS that can handle that old standard.

I don't pretend to be a hardware expert, but as far as I know, almost
all motherboards can do this. My motherboard, a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P
LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard, which is a pretty recent
one, can.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain>

>> Cool.

>> Now he needs a floppy interface and BIOS that can handle that old standard.

| I don't pretend to be a hardware expert, but as far as I know, almost
| all motherboards can do this. My motherboard, a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P
| LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard, which is a pretty recent
| one, can.

New systems like from Dell don't even come with a Floppy drive anymore and those that do
have a single interface cable for the 3 1/2" floppy. However, it is a completely
different cabling for the 5 1/4" drive.

See cable in below...
http://www.nullmodem.com/Floppy.htm

--
Dave

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 22:41:26 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

> From: "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain>
>

> >> Cool.
>
> >> Now he needs a floppy interface and BIOS that can handle that old standard.
>

> | I don't pretend to be a hardware expert, but as far as I know, almost
> | all motherboards can do this. My motherboard, a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P
> | LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard, which is a pretty recent
> | one, can.
>

> New systems like from Dell don't even come with a Floppy drive anymore

Yes, I know. Almost no system comes with one except a custom-built
system where someone wants a floppy.

> and those that do
> have a single interface cable for the 3 1/2" floppy. However, it is a completely
> different cabling for the 5 1/4" drive.

But that I didn't know. Thanks for the info.

However can't an old cable be used to connect a 5.25" floppy drive to
almost any motherboard? Or is the motherboard connector different from
what it used to be back in the 5.25" days?

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain>

| On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 22:41:26 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>> From: "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain>

>> | I don't pretend to be a hardware expert, but as far as I know, almost
>> | all motherboards can do this. My motherboard, a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P
>> | LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard, which is a pretty recent
>> | one, can.

>> New systems like from Dell don't even come with a Floppy drive anymore

| Yes, I know. Almost no system comes with one except a custom-built
| system where someone wants a floppy.

>> and those that do
>> have a single interface cable for the 3 1/2" floppy. However, it is a completely
>> different cabling for the 5 1/4" drive.

| But that I didn't know. Thanks for the info.

| However can't an old cable be used to connect a 5.25" floppy drive to
| almost any motherboard? Or is the motherboard connector different from
| what it used to be back in the 5.25" days?

The cable to the motherboard or floppy controller hasn't changed. The only questions
are...
1. Does the end user have the appropriate cable

2. Does/will the BIOS recognize a 1.2MB 5.25" floppy drive.

--
Dave