From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:17:28 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

> From: "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain>
>

> >> and those that do
> >> have a single interface cable for the 3 1/2" floppy. However, it is a completely
> >> different cabling for the 5 1/4" drive.
>

> | But that I didn't know. Thanks for the info.
>
> | However can't an old cable be used to connect a 5.25" floppy drive to
> | almost any motherboard? Or is the motherboard connector different from
> | what it used to be back in the 5.25" days?
>

> The cable to the motherboard or floppy controller hasn't changed. The only questions
> are...
> 1. Does the end user have the appropriate cable

Well, OK. But if you don't have a 5.25 floppy cable, you can buy one
inexpensively, just as you can buy a 5.25 floppy drive inexpensively.
That's not really an issue, as far as I'm concerned.

> 2. Does/will the BIOS recognize a 1.2MB 5.25" floppy drive.

OK, if the BIOS doesn't recognize it, that of course is a real issue.
I had assumed that if the BIOS recognized 3.25" floppy drives, it also
recognized 5.25" floppy drives. But perhaps I'm wrong. I don't want
to take the time to restart and check right now, but I'll try to
remember to check the next time I power off.

Thanks again.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: ggull on
I'd just like to say thanks for this interesting discussion. I've got some
old 5.25 inchers I'd like to grab the data off of someday, even some old
copy protected games it might be fun to play.

But a related question. Is there such a thing as an external, say USB,
5.25" floppy drive? (I use an external 3.5" floppy when I need it.)
or would it be easy to cobble something like that together?

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "ggull" <ggullNOSPAMONI(a)comcast.net>

| I'd just like to say thanks for this interesting discussion. I've got some
| old 5.25 inchers I'd like to grab the data off of someday, even some old
| copy protected games it might be fun to play.

| But a related question. Is there such a thing as an external, say USB,
| 5.25" floppy drive? (I use an external 3.5" floppy when I need it.)
| or would it be easy to cobble something like that together?

I couldn't find a 1.2MB 5.25" USB floppy drive.

--
Dave

From: JD on
ggull wrote:
> I'd just like to say thanks for this interesting discussion. I've got some
> old 5.25 inchers I'd like to grab the data off of someday, even some old
> copy protected games it might be fun to play.
>
> But a related question. Is there such a thing as an external, say USB,
> 5.25" floppy drive? (I use an external 3.5" floppy when I need it.)
> or would it be easy to cobble something like that together?

Do a search on Ask.com (or your favorite search engine) and see what you
can find. If you have the 5.25 drive and a USB enclosure you might be
able to engineer something if you can find the right cables to connect
the 5.25 drive to the USB enclosure.

--
JD..
From: LVTravel on

"JD" <JD(a)example.invalid> wrote in message
> ggull wrote:
>> I'd just like to say thanks for this interesting discussion. I've got
>> some
>> old 5.25 inchers I'd like to grab the data off of someday, even some old
>> copy protected games it might be fun to play.
>>
>> But a related question. Is there such a thing as an external, say USB,
>> 5.25" floppy drive? (I use an external 3.5" floppy when I need it.)
>> or would it be easy to cobble something like that together?
>>

> Do a search on Ask.com (or your favorite search engine) and see what you
> can find. If you have the 5.25 drive and a USB enclosure you might be able
> to engineer something if you can find the right cables to connect the 5.25
> drive to the USB enclosure.
>
> --
> JD..

The USB enclosure method won't work. Reason is that the electronics in the
drive are designed for PATA (EIDE) or SATA drives. The cabling and
electronics are entirely different. There are USB 3.5" external floppy
drives available but I have never seen one for 5.25" floppies.