From: MM on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 22:52:55 -0500, "Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com>
wrote:

>"rony g" <nospam> wrote in message
>>
>> Hello ,
>>
>> Currently I use api socket ocx downloaded from
>> www.planet-source-code.com. I plan to replace it with other ocx that
>> works better soon. Could you give me information about the best socket
>> ocx ?
>> I also have another question : Is there any socket ocx that has
>> multithread capability on windows ?
>
>Like Henning suggested, SocketWrench has an ActiveX freeware edition that is
>okay for commercial use. The only issue is that it only works for Windows
>2000+, but this may or may not be a problem for you.
>
>http://www.catalyst.com/products/socketwrench/freeware/index.html

This is interesting. The freeware SocketWrench was available for a
number of years, and then I am sure I recall that Catalyst withdrew it
as a free product, making it instead a low-cost product. But now it
appears to be freeware again!

Here is a link to correspondence that suggests that Catalyst back in
2007 was talking about the "old freeware verson", intimating that this
would soon no longer be available.
http://forums.catalyst.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1011

MM
From: MM on
wrote:

>"rony g" <nospam> wrote in message
>>
>> Hello ,
>>
>> Currently I use api socket ocx downloaded from
>> www.planet-source-code.com. I plan to replace it with other ocx that
>> works better soon. Could you give me information about the best socket
>> ocx ?
>> I also have another question : Is there any socket ocx that has
>> multithread capability on windows ?
>
>Like Henning suggested, SocketWrench has an ActiveX freeware edition that is
>okay for commercial use. The only issue is that it only works for Windows
>2000+, but this may or may not be a problem for you.
>
>http://www.catalyst.com/products/socketwrench/freeware/index.html

I forgot to ask something.

On the Download page for the new freeware SocketWrench it is stated:

" SocketWrench Freeware Edition 6.0
(5.55 MB, Version 6.0.6020.1384, 26 Jan 2010)
SocketWrench ActiveX control for network communications under
Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003,
Windows XP and Windows 2000."

Does this mean that an ActiveX control can be written that DOESN'T
work on Windows 98 with VB6?

MM
From: MM on
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 00:37:02 +0100, "Henning"
<computer_hero(a)coldmail.com> wrote:

>"rony g" <nospam> skrev i meddelandet
>>
>> Hello ,
>>
>> Currently I use api socket ocx downloaded from
>> www.planet-source-code.com. I plan to replace it with other ocx that
>> works better soon. Could you give me information about the best socket
>> ocx ?
>> I also have another question : Is there any socket ocx that has
>> multithread capability on windows ?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Rony
>>

>> *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
>
>I've started using SocketWrench wich works well for me.

I've just downloaded the version 6.0 freeware edition and can confirm
that it doesn't run on Windows 98 Second Edition, which is a shame,
because the SocketWrench 3.6 I've used before worked very well.

MM
From: Dee Earley on
On 26/02/2010 08:26, MM wrote:
> On the Download page for the new freeware SocketWrench it is stated:
>
> " SocketWrench Freeware Edition 6.0
> (5.55 MB, Version 6.0.6020.1384, 26 Jan 2010)
> SocketWrench ActiveX control for network communications under
> Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003,
> Windows XP and Windows 2000."
>
> Does this mean that an ActiveX control can be written that DOESN'T
> work on Windows 98 with VB6?

Of course, exactly the same way any other application can be.
Nothing about an OCX makes it OS specific but it can use OS specific
APIs or code internally.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
From: Nobody on
"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Does this mean that an ActiveX control can be written that DOESN'T
> work on Windows 98 with VB6?

Yes. It all depends on what functions the author restrict him/herself to,
just like any other EXE or DLL. You can check the OS version, and only call
the new function if the OS version supports it, but if you call the function
regardless, it won't work on older OS'es.

The freeware version only calls one function that was introduced after
Windows 95: OpenThread(). This function was in introduced in Windows
ME/2000, so Windows ME is the minimum required OS although it's not
supported. So the freeware version will not work on Windows 95/98/NT4.