From: Trouble on
I have been maintaining VB 6 apps and at your suggestion added Virtual XP to
my new Win 7 machine. Thank you all for that advice.

I have some time on my hands and decided to look again at VB.Net for a new
app. I bought VB.Net Standard 2002 and Matthew MacDonald's book back in 2004
I think.

I tried to load it on my new Win 7 machine and low and behold, just like XP
I get the message that there are incompatabilities. Of course it works fine
in the Virtual XP partition.

I don't know if I am going to get through the pain of learning to program in
Net so rather than shell out the funds for the latest VB.Net, if I learn on
VB.Net 2002 is there a big gap when I buy and try to run the app in VB.net
2010?
From: Armin Zingler on
Am 30.03.2010 23:21, schrieb Trouble:
> I have been maintaining VB 6 apps and at your suggestion added Virtual XP to
> my new Win 7 machine. Thank you all for that advice.
>
> I have some time on my hands and decided to look again at VB.Net for a new
> app. I bought VB.Net Standard 2002 and Matthew MacDonald's book back in 2004
> I think.
>
> I tried to load it on my new Win 7 machine and low and behold, just like XP
> I get the message that there are incompatabilities. Of course it works fine
> in the Virtual XP partition.
>
> I don't know if I am going to get through the pain of learning to program in
> Net so rather than shell out the funds for the latest VB.Net, if I learn on
> VB.Net 2002 is there a big gap when I buy and try to run the app in VB.net
> 2010?

Have a look here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/47a587hk.aspx

Also the contained link at the end "Breaking Changes in the .NET Framework".

If you're referring to VS itself, you may want to see "what's new":

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6d72zczx(VS.71).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/88fx1xy0(VS.80).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386063(VS.100).aspx

VB "breaking changes":
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc714070(VS.100).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc714070.aspx

--
Armin
From: Family Tree Mike on
On 3/30/2010 5:21 PM, Trouble wrote:
> I have been maintaining VB 6 apps and at your suggestion added Virtual XP to
> my new Win 7 machine. Thank you all for that advice.
>
> I have some time on my hands and decided to look again at VB.Net for a new
> app. I bought VB.Net Standard 2002 and Matthew MacDonald's book back in 2004
> I think.
>
> I tried to load it on my new Win 7 machine and low and behold, just like XP
> I get the message that there are incompatabilities. Of course it works fine
> in the Virtual XP partition.
>
> I don't know if I am going to get through the pain of learning to program in
> Net so rather than shell out the funds for the latest VB.Net, if I learn on
> VB.Net 2002 is there a big gap when I buy and try to run the app in VB.net
> 2010?

Don't shell out any funds. Download VB.Net 2008 Express from
http://www.microsoft.com/express/Windows/. There is a big change from
vb 6 to vb.net. Some even say they are different languages.

--
Mike
From: Herfried K. Wagner [MVP] on
Am 30.03.2010 23:21, schrieb Trouble:
> I have some time on my hands and decided to look again at VB.Net for a new
> app. I bought VB.Net Standard 2002 and Matthew MacDonald's book back in 2004
> I think.

VB.NET Standard 2002 is a pretty old/outdated version.

> I don't know if I am going to get through the pain of learning to program in
> Net so rather than shell out the funds for the latest VB.Net, if I learn on
> VB.Net 2002 is there a big gap when I buy and try to run the app in VB.net
> 2010?

I suggest not to use VB.NET 2002.

For learning purposes I'd try the free Express editions of VS:

<URL:http://www.microsoft.com/express/>

Once you are familiar with the new programming language and programming
environment, you may consider to buy one of the "bigger" versions of
Visual Studio.

--
M S Herfried K. Wagner
M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on

"Trouble" <Trouble(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> I have some time on my hands and decided to look again at VB.Net for a new
> app. I bought VB.Net Standard 2002 and Matthew MacDonald's book back in
> 2004
> I think.

I would both not use anymore, Net 1.0 is not completely compatible with Net
2.0 and later.
Although most keywords from VB are still almost the same (not all) as in the
original VB6, is Net extended so very much that those new additions makes a
book from 2004 nice to read how it was.

> I tried to load it on my new Win 7 machine and low and behold, just like
> XP
> I get the message that there are incompatabilities. Of course it works
> fine
> in the Virtual XP partition.

That will be solved by updates

> I don't know if I am going to get through the pain of learning to program
> in
> Net so rather than shell out the funds for the latest VB.Net, if I learn
> on
> VB.Net 2002 is there a big gap when I buy and try to run the app in VB.net
> 2010?

In my perception not as much as between VB5 and VB6

However, VB 2008 Express is freeware and in a fortnight VB10 Express is
available too.
(I assume also freeware, but with Microsoft you never know)

Be only aware that VB10 has no ability anymore to convert VB6 to VB10
(VB7 to VB10 code is full upwards compatible with the exception of the
aspects in the different Framework 1.x and (2.x and later))