From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-07-15, Rui Maciel <rui.maciel(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, and by the way sorry for not being able to help,
> why not dump the fax entirely and move on to emails?

My guess: if your customers want to send you faxes, then you set up to
receive faxes.

> Nowadays the idea of using a fax sounds needlessly expensive.

And people who aggravate their customers end up needlessly broke. :)

--
Grant

From: Balwinder S Dheeman on
On 07/15/10 07:14, Rui Maciel wrote:
> Todd wrote:
>
>> H All,
>>
>> I need a new fax machine. I am tired of having to destroy
>> fax film cartridges.
>>
>> I send all my faxes from CEetOS and Hyla fax on my main
>> office computer. I do not receive because most of the time
>> I am in the field and the main office machine is off.
>>
>> I got to thinking, to receive faxes, why not put FC12 on
>> an ATOM netbook/laptop with Hyla Fax and use that for
>> my receive fax machine instead.
>>
>> Does this sound reasonable/insane?
>>
>> -T
>
> Out of curiosity, and by the way sorry for not being able to help, why not dump the fax entirely and
> move on to emails? Nowadays the idea of using a fax sounds needlessly expensive.

Though, e-mails are good alternative, but these I think, will not
replace real FAX or e-FAX messages in the near future, which also carry
an authenticity unless the mailers know how to digitally sign and accept
signed and, or encrypted e-mails.

I had been having hard time, teaching people OTR
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-the-Record_Messaging for chat and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy PGP/GNUPG for e-mails
since long.
--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
Anu'z Linux(a)HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
From: Harold Stevens on
In <i1m307$oj0$1(a)reader1.panix.com> Grant Edwards:

[Snip...]

> customers want to send you faxes, then you set up to receive faxes

ISTR (been years now for me) faxes were (are, still?) legally required for
some US business transactions. I agree it's archaic, but IMO, so are jokes
like software patents.

I toss GoogleGroup (http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/).
From: John Hasler on
Harold Stevens writes:
> ISTR (been years now for me) faxes were (are, still?) legally required
> for some US business transactions.

That is widely believed but I know of no examples of such a requirement.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-07-15, John Hasler <jhasler(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
> Harold Stevens writes:
>> ISTR (been years now for me) faxes were (are, still?) legally required
>> for some US business transactions.
>
> That is widely believed but I know of no examples of such a requirement.

I think the fact that it is widely believed is what keeps the fax alive.

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)