From: The Natural Philosopher on
Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2010-07-15, John Hasler <jhasler(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
>> Harold Stevens writes:
>>> ISTR (been years now for me) faxes were (are, still?) legally required
>>> for some US business transactions.
>> That is widely believed but I know of no examples of such a requirement.
>
> I think the fact that it is widely believed is what keeps the fax alive.
>
> --keith

I think that was teh case at some time: there was legal precedence for
faxes being used as hard evidence, that did not exist for e-mail

However as we discovered, faxes are just as fake-able as email, you
simply need a different set of software tools. ;-)
From: Douglas Mayne on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:06:52 -0700, Todd wrote:

> H All,
>
> I need a new fax machine. I am tired of having to destroy fax film
> cartridges.
>
> I send all my faxes from CEetOS and Hyla fax on my main office computer.
> I do not receive because most of the time I am in the field and the
> main office machine is off.
>
> I got to thinking, to receive faxes, why not put FC12 on an ATOM
> netbook/laptop with Hyla Fax and use that for my receive fax machine
> instead.
>
> Does this sound reasonable/insane?
>
> -T

I have an older celeron desktop with a modem which receives faxes using
efax: http://www.cce.com/efax/

It is mostly a simple bash script which handles sending/receiving faxes.
It is mostly used as a legacy device for receiving faxes now (YMMV). The
script itself is easily modified to generate pdfs from the native tiffs.
I have mine setup to generate the pdf and then send to a list of
recipientes via email, which are mostly junk faxes these days. As you
note, it does save on cartridges and special devices. The computer I am
using also does simple file server duties and downloads new antivirus
definitions for the office's Windows workstations. The hardware is a
spare Celeron 1.3G CPU class and a US Robotics class modem. The software
platform is Slackware 12.0, but it should work on almost any GNU/Linux.
One caution: if you go with efax, check to verify that you have a
supported modem. The genuine serial modems work best but are getting
expensive again, even on ebay. The new depression era economics are
forcing a lot of people to give up broadband and go back to dialup to
save some bucks.

If you want, I could possibly post my script modifications that transform
the tiffs into acceptable pdfs. There is also a weekly cron job which
checks for faxes older than "n" days and purges the fax spool directory.

--
Douglas Mayne
From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <e9j3h7xerq.ln2(a)goaway.wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>,
Keith Keller <kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
>On 2010-07-15, John Hasler <jhasler(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
>> Harold Stevens writes:
>>> ISTR (been years now for me) faxes were (are, still?) legally required
>>> for some US business transactions.
>>
>> That is widely believed but I know of no examples of such a requirement.
>
>I think the fact that it is widely believed is what keeps the fax alive.

As I said, realtors and lawyers still use FAX and don't trust/use
anything else.

I.e., try selling (or buying) a house (remotely) w/o one...

--
"We should always be disposed to believe that which appears to us to be
white is really black, if the hierarchy of the church so decides."

- Saint Ignatius Loyola (1491-1556) Founder of the Jesuit Order -

From: surferelf on
In article <i1m03d$5qb$1(a)news.xmission.com>, Kenny McCormack wrote:

> The problem is that several critical industries are still hopelessly
> stuck in the 70s, with no intention of evolving past that.
>
> Try dealing with real estate brokers or lawyers - the only language they
> speak (for official documents) is "fax machine".

Actually, we couldn't get the lawyers to use fax machines until the mid-80's. Unfortunately, we didn't realize that we wouldn't be able to get them to stop.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
surferelf wrote:
> In article <i1m03d$5qb$1(a)news.xmission.com>, Kenny McCormack wrote:
>> The problem is that several critical industries are still hopelessly
>> stuck in the 70s, with no intention of evolving past that.
>>
>> Try dealing with real estate brokers or lawyers - the only language they
>> speak (for official documents) is "fax machine".
>
> Actually, we couldn't get the lawyers to use fax machines until the mid-80's. Unfortunately, we didn't realize that we wouldn't be able to get them to stop.

He spikka da troof.