From: Vincent Parry on
On 7/16/10 8:52 AM, Nick Naym wrote:
> In article jollyroger-E7F80B.06520716072010(a)news.individual.net, Jolly Roger
> at jollyroger(a)pobox.com wrote on 7/16/10 7:52 AM:
>
>> In article<2010071602334916807-(a)news.giganews.com>, x wrote:
>>
>>> i probably shouldnt have even bugged anyone over this. i have a little
>>> ocd and even a dent in the packaging drives me crazy....ugh....for
>>> someone so imperfect i sure demand a lot of the world outside of me.
>>
>> No way. It would definitely bother the heck out of me. It's a brand-new
>> computer, and it should be defect free. I'm sure if you contact Apple
>> about it they will remove whatever it is for you free of charge.
>
> Absolutely correct. Even if it were a defect that went unnoticed for many
> months, he has every right to ask Apple to take care of it -- it's covered
> under the standard 1-year AppleCare warranty. And, as I indicated in my post
> about this, it's an easy fix for an Apple tech: The plexiglass cover is held
> on by magnets; the tech uses humongous-sized rubber suction cups to pop it
> off. At that point, he'd either quickly spray a solution of cleaner on the
> plexiglass or display to clean off the entrapped particle of dirt, or, if
> it's imbedded, replace the plexiglass or display (which snaps right off of
> the iMac as if it were a giant circuit board).
>
> Trying to rationalize _not_ following up with Apple about this for _any_
> reason (because he has OCD, doesn't want to "bother" Apple, thinks it's too
> minor a "defect," etc., etc.) would be an absolutely dumb mistake. He's
> entitled to the service (he's paid for it, whether he uses it or not -- the
> cost is built into the price of the iMac), and to do otherwise would nag at
> him (it would -- and did -- for me...and I don't have OCD) for the life of
> the machine.

Yup, good advice. I had a similar issue with my 21.5 iMac. First time
round, the cleaned then replaced the plexi cover which unfortunately
didn't solve the problem. Next round, they changed the display panel and
all is fine.
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <C865CE58.61033%nicknaym@_remove_this_gmail.com.invalid>,
Nick Naym <nicknaym@_remove_this_gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> In article jollyroger-E7F80B.06520716072010(a)news.individual.net, Jolly Roger
> at jollyroger(a)pobox.com wrote on 7/16/10 7:52 AM:
>
> > In article <2010071602334916807-(a)news.giganews.com>, x wrote:
> >
> >> i probably shouldnt have even bugged anyone over this. i have a little
> >> ocd and even a dent in the packaging drives me crazy....ugh....for
> >> someone so imperfect i sure demand a lot of the world outside of me.
> >
> > No way. It would definitely bother the heck out of me. It's a brand-new
> > computer, and it should be defect free. I'm sure if you contact Apple
> > about it they will remove whatever it is for you free of charge.
>
> Absolutely correct. Even if it were a defect that went unnoticed for many
> months, he has every right to ask Apple to take care of it -- it's covered
> under the standard 1-year AppleCare warranty. And, as I indicated in my post
> about this, it's an easy fix for an Apple tech: The plexiglass cover is held
> on by magnets; the tech uses humongous-sized rubber suction cups to pop it
> off. At that point, he'd either quickly spray a solution of cleaner on the
> plexiglass or display to clean off the entrapped particle of dirt, or, if
> it's imbedded, replace the plexiglass or display (which snaps right off of
> the iMac as if it were a giant circuit board).
>
> Trying to rationalize _not_ following up with Apple about this for _any_
> reason (because he has OCD, doesn't want to "bother" Apple, thinks it's too
> minor a "defect," etc., etc.) would be an absolutely dumb mistake. He's
> entitled to the service (he's paid for it, whether he uses it or not -- the
> cost is built into the price of the iMac), and to do otherwise would nag at
> him (it would -- and did -- for me...and I don't have OCD) for the life of
> the machine.

Well put!

JR
From: Mike Rosenberg on
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> > Turn the monitor off. Look carefully at the spot in lower left to se if
> > you can see anything. Use a torch at different angles.
>
> Note to most Murricans: by "torch", she means "flashlight".

And there I was, thinking of the villagers chasing Frankenstein's
monster...

--
My latest dance routines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkxGQmTvctc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTajUBrlA6c
From: TaliesinSoft on
On 2010-07-15 20:04:24 -0500, Michelle Steiner said:

> In article <dorayme-39356D.09252816072010(a)news.albasani.net>,
> dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> Turn the monitor off. Look carefully at the spot in lower left to se if
>> you can see anything. Use a torch at different angles.
> Note to most Murricans: by "torch", she means "flashlight".

My Canadian friends often refer to us from the USA as "merkins", which
is a real word with a somewhat amusing definition.

--
James Leo Ryan -- Austin, Texas -- <taliesinsoft(a)me.com>

From: Nick Naym on
In article 8abefbFp3pU1(a)mid.individual.net, TaliesinSoft at
taliesinsoft(a)me.com wrote on 7/16/10 12:08 PM:

> On 2010-07-15 20:04:24 -0500, Michelle Steiner said:
>
>> In article <dorayme-39356D.09252816072010(a)news.albasani.net>,
>> dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>>> Turn the monitor off. Look carefully at the spot in lower left to se if
>>> you can see anything. Use a torch at different angles.
>> Note to most Murricans: by "torch", she means "flashlight".
>
> My Canadian friends often refer to us from the USA as "merkins", which
> is a real word with a somewhat amusing definition.

So the Canucks call us "crotch toupees," eh?
--
iMac (27", 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) � OS X (10.6.3)