From: Ry Nohryb on
On Aug 8, 7:08 am, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> (...) Named
> arguments and function expressions (the latter of which should be
> avoided) (...)

NFEs ? Avoided ? Why ? NFEs are *not* the problem, the problem is
Microsoft.

> The only gray area would be implied global "variables", which are used
> without declaration and create properties on the Global Object (which
> differ slightly from those created by properly declared global
> variables).
>
> Built-in objects, host objects, etc. are not variables.  Calling them
> as such serves only to create confusion (and there is enough of that
> as it is).

Global symbols: global vars, global objects, global mehtods, etc, all
of them properties of the Global Object (the one that 'window'
aliases)
--
Jorge.
From: Johannes Baagoe on
Ry Nohryb :

> Global symbols: global vars, global objects, global mehtods, etc, all of
> them properties of the Global Object (the one that 'window' aliases)

baagoe(a)tournefort:~$ v8
V8 version 1.3.10
> window
(shell):1: ReferenceError: window is not defined
window
^

baagoe(a)tournefort:~$ js
Rhino 1.7 release 2 2010 01 20
js> window
js: "<stdin>", line 2: uncaught JavaScript runtime exception:
ReferenceError: "window" is not defined.
at <stdin>:2

--
Johannes
It is wonderful that nobody has ever yet fancied it to be sinful to
From: Ry Nohryb on
On Aug 8, 4:51 pm, Johannes Baagoe <baa...(a)baagoe.com> wrote:

> baagoe(a)tournefort:~$ v8
> V8 version 1.3.10> window
>
> (shell):1: ReferenceError: window is not defined
> window
> ^
>
> baagoe(a)tournefort:~$ js
> Rhino 1.7 release 2 2010 01 20
> js> window
> js: "<stdin>", line 2: uncaught JavaScript runtime exception:
>         ReferenceError: "window" is not defined.
>         at <stdin>:2

$ ~/JAVASCRIPT/v8/shell
V8 version 2.2.8
> 'window' in this
false
> var window= this
> 'window' in this
true
> this.window
[object global]
> window.k
> 'k' in window
false
> var k= 27
> window.k
27

$ /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/
Resources/jsc
> this.window
undefined
> var window= this
undefined
> this.window
[object global]
> var k= 27
undefined
> window.k
27

It comes pre-defined in the browsers.
--
Jorge.
From: Johannes Baagoe on
Ry Nohryb :

[`window`]

> It comes pre-defined in the browsers.

Sure.

My point (I expect you have guessed it) is that one cannot blindly
assume that there is a pre-defined global named "window". ECMAScript
isn't necessarily for browsers. It is a Turing-complete programming
language, and a rather interesting one, too.

I still wonder whether this newsgroup is about browser scripting or about
ECMAScript. It seems to me that most posts would be better placed somewhere
under comp.infosystems.www than under comp.language.javascript, which I
would assume to be about a computing language, not its use in browser
clients in client-server application based on the WWW model, complete with
DOM, compatibility issues, etc. All of which are certainly interesting,
but they have nothing to do with the programming language.

From: Ry Nohryb on
On Aug 8, 6:24 pm, Johannes Baagoe <baa...(a)baagoe.com> wrote:
> Ry Nohryb :
>
> [`window`]
>
> > It comes pre-defined in the browsers.
>
> Sure.
>
> My point (I expect you have guessed it) is that one cannot blindly
> assume that there is a pre-defined global named "window". ECMAScript
> isn't necessarily for browsers. It is a Turing-complete programming
> language, and a rather interesting one, too.
>
> I still wonder whether this newsgroup is about browser scripting or about
> ECMAScript. It seems to me that most posts would be better placed somewhere
> under comp.infosystems.www than under comp.language.javascript, which I
> would assume to be about a computing language, not its use in browser
> clients in client-server application based on the WWW model, complete with
> DOM, compatibility issues, etc. All of which are certainly interesting,
> but they have nothing to do with the programming language.

That's because it's the language of the web (browsers). For a long
time most people -even many programmers- didn't even realize that
Java !== JavaScript, and you're expecting them to tell apart the DOM
from the core ? It's a fact that if it were not for the web (browsers)
JS would be completely unknown and irrelevant and dead. Or not?
--
Jorge.