From: lk on
Hi sorry if this isn't the best place to ask this.

I've just installed FreeBSD and something's gone wrong - it's not brought up
the networking. Rather than reinstall, is there a config command I can
just run to fix this? I think if I can bring up the networking I can take
it from there.

Thanks in advance.

From: mikea on
lk <gofyself(a)wrong.address.com> wrote in <4b83e9fb$0$2531$da0feed9(a)news.zen.co.uk>:
> Hi sorry if this isn't the best place to ask this.
>
> I've just installed FreeBSD and something's gone wrong - it's not brought up
> the networking. Rather than reinstall, is there a config command I can
> just run to fix this? I think if I can bring up the networking I can take
> it from there.

As root:

sysinstall->configure->networking

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea(a)mikea.ath.cx
From: Warren Block on
lk <gofyself(a)wrong.address.com> wrote:
> Hi sorry if this isn't the best place to ask this.
>
> I've just installed FreeBSD and something's gone wrong - it's not brought up
> the networking.

Even the tiniest scrap of detail would be helpful here. A good start
would be describing whether it's wired or wireless, the make/model of
network card, connecting through a switch or directly to another
computer, and exactly what doesn't work.

> Rather than reinstall, is there a config command I can just run to fix
> this? I think if I can bring up the networking I can take it from
> there.

There are lots of networking commands, but which to use really depends
on the problem.

Reinstalling... well, if you've just installed it and have nothing to
lose, it would give you the chance to enter different options. But
FreeBSD is consistent; if you reinstall it the same way, it'll do the
same thing.