From: Bernqrd T. Higonnet on
Hello

I have just downloaded the port for qt4-corelib.

When I run make I am informed that I don't have corelib-4.5.2.tar.gz
(notwithstanding that the freebsd ports page from which I downloaded the
port says it's 4.6.1???).

I am then informed that ftp.freebsd.org doesn't have it either and I
should download it by hand. Of course I can't find it at ftp.freebsd.org
either... Searching for this file on Google did not produce any valid
results.

Help!

TIA
Bernard Higonnet
From: Warren Block on
Bernqrd T. Higonnet <bthcom(a)higonnet.net> wrote:

> I have just downloaded the port for qt4-corelib.
>
> When I run make I am informed that I don't have corelib-4.5.2.tar.gz
> (notwithstanding that the freebsd ports page from which I downloaded the
> port says it's 4.6.1???).

Downloading a single port like that is probably not going to work.
Particularly for QT4, which is actually a bunch of ports.

devel/qt4-corelib is a sub-port of devel/qt4, and that's where the
distfiles are described (in distinfo).

> I am then informed that ftp.freebsd.org doesn't have it either and I
> should download it by hand. Of course I can't find it at ftp.freebsd.org
> either... Searching for this file on Google did not produce any valid
> results.

For 4.6.1 the corelibs are apparently in
qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.6.1.tar.gz. At least that's what it
extracts from when I do make extract in that port.

That's probably still not going to work without the rest of the ports
tree being up to date.

From: Bernard T. Higonnet on
Warren Block wrote:
> Bernqrd T. Higonnet <bthcom(a)higonnet.net> wrote:
>> I have just downloaded the port for qt4-corelib.
>>
>> When I run make I am informed that I don't have corelib-4.5.2.tar.gz
>> (notwithstanding that the freebsd ports page from which I downloaded the
>> port says it's 4.6.1???).
>
> Downloading a single port like that is probably not going to work.
> Particularly for QT4, which is actually a bunch of ports.
>
> devel/qt4-corelib is a sub-port of devel/qt4, and that's where the
> distfiles are described (in distinfo).
>
>> I am then informed that ftp.freebsd.org doesn't have it either and I
>> should download it by hand. Of course I can't find it at ftp.freebsd.org
>> either... Searching for this file on Google did not produce any valid
>> results.
>
> For 4.6.1 the corelibs are apparently in
> qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.6.1.tar.gz. At least that's what it
> extracts from when I do make extract in that port.
>
> That's probably still not going to work without the rest of the ports
> tree being up to date.

Perhaps I should have said that I previously did a portupgrade -af
(though I did not check for errors as output is so colossal ...). I
downloaded qt4-corelib because a make on kde4 claimed it needed a more
recent version of it.

But anyway, today I downloaded
http://cvsweb.freebsd.org/ports/devel/qt4/qt4.tar.gz?tarball=1 (whose
distinfo does indeed say 4.6.1) and when I tried to make that I got

qt4-4.5.2_1 cannot install: unknown Qt4 component -- multimedia.

I should also say that this machine used to run FreeBSD 7.1 quite nicely
for a long time. I did a freebsd-update to 7.2, and then another to 8.0.
uname says I am indeed running 8.0-RELEASE-p2, but I wonder if I haven't
done something weird and I'm trying to run 8.0 with 7.x ports? I
certainly wouldn't know how to do this if I tried, but there I am.

Wish this all made sense. I believe I did my freebsd-update after
bringing the system to 8.0, but I did so many things maybe I got confused...

TIA
Bernard Higonnet
From: Warren Block on
Bernard T. Higonnet <bthcom(a)higonnet.net> wrote:

> I should also say that this machine used to run FreeBSD 7.1 quite nicely
> for a long time. I did a freebsd-update to 7.2, and then another to 8.0.
> uname says I am indeed running 8.0-RELEASE-p2, but I wonder if I haven't
> done something weird and I'm trying to run 8.0 with 7.x ports? I
> certainly wouldn't know how to do this if I tried, but there I am.

Yes, that's probably it. After a major version upgrade (7->8), its
necessary to either a) never upgrade any port, or b) upgrade them all.
Otherwise, there are mixed libraries and nothing is guaranteed to work.

You can try upgrading ports in-place, but it is often quicker to record
what you have (pkg_info), backup everything (/usr/local/etc at least)
and then delete them all (pkg_delete -a), update the ports tree, and
then reinstall your ports. Based on some ideas from the mailing list,
you might be able to automate that somewhat.

pkg_info | cut -f1 -d' ' | pkg_sort

That should give the packages in order of most dependencies. IOW, if
you start installing at the end of that list and work upwards, it should
be the least amount of manual interaction (untested). The heavyweights
at the bottom should pull in most of the lighter stuff as dependencies.

You might even be able to install portupgrade (and all of its
dependencies), then feed the list above to portupgrade -C. Untested by
me so far. Next time I do a major version upgrade...

Pages: 1
Prev: tv tuner card support?
Next: newbie setup question