From: Grant on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 08:32:19 +0200, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist(a)deadspam.com> wrote:

>john <here(a)home.hams> wrote:
>
>> Robby Workman wrote:
>>> Try passing "-o vers=3" to the mount command.
>
>> Robby Workman,s suggestion fixed it.
>
>> root(a)baby-bear:~# cat /proc/filesystems | grep nfs
>> nodev nfs
>> nodev nfs4
>> nodev nfsd
>
>So it seems as if Slackware 13.1 by default uses NFS version 4 which was
>not supported at all in your earlier versions of Slackware. If this is the
>solution it is also possible to add "vers=3" to the line in /etc/fstab.

Grumble... Ohh, all right :)

root(a)pooh64:~# tail -4 /etc/fstab
#
deltree:/home/common /home/common nfs hard,intr,vers=3
deltree:/home/mirror /home/mirror nfs noauto,user,hard,intr,vers=3
#
root(a)pooh64:~# mount /home/common/
root(a)pooh64:~# df
/dev/root 8225024 2501680 5723344 31% /
/dev/sdb2 8225024 3969940 4255084 49% /usr
/dev/sda9 164500508 83788176 80712332 51% /home/archive
tmpfs 2023920 0 2023920 0% /dev/shm
deltree:/home/common 16450016 4503168 11946848 28% /home/common

Easier than expecting slackware to fix such a tiny thing...

Grant.

From: Henrik Carlqvist on
Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 08:32:19 +0200, Henrik Carlqvist
> <Henrik.Carlqvist(a)deadspam.com> wrote:
>> If this is the solution it is also possible to add "vers=3" to the line
>> in /etc/fstab.
>
> Grumble... Ohh, all right :)

> Easier than expecting slackware to fix such a tiny thing...

Yes, maybe for now. But I still think that it would be preferable to
default to NFS version 3. Is there really anyone out there who thinks NFS
v4 is good enough to use in a production environment today?

In my case it is not enough to simply add vers=3 to the local fstab files.
If I would start rolling out Slackware 13.1 it would mean that I would
have to pollute automount map files distributed by NIS with that option.

Too bad NFS v4 is a total incompatible beast. When going from version 2 to
version 3 the server and the client were able to negotiote about which NFS
version to use as well as other options like rsize and wsize.

regards Henrik

hc123(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
root(a)localhost postmaster(a)localhost

From: Grant on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 10:28:05 +0200, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist(a)deadspam.com> wrote:

>Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 08:32:19 +0200, Henrik Carlqvist
>> <Henrik.Carlqvist(a)deadspam.com> wrote:
>>> If this is the solution it is also possible to add "vers=3" to the line
>>> in /etc/fstab.
>>
>> Grumble... Ohh, all right :)
>
>> Easier than expecting slackware to fix such a tiny thing...
>
>Yes, maybe for now. But I still think that it would be preferable to
>default to NFS version 3. Is there really anyone out there who thinks NFS
>v4 is good enough to use in a production environment today?
>
>In my case it is not enough to simply add vers=3 to the local fstab files.
>If I would start rolling out Slackware 13.1 it would mean that I would
>have to pollute automount map files distributed by NIS with that option.
>
>Too bad NFS v4 is a total incompatible beast. When going from version 2 to
>version 3 the server and the client were able to negotiote about which NFS
>version to use as well as other options like rsize and wsize.

Yes, I was surprised the thing gave up and didn't try to mount the
nfs3 export. Yet before that, the distro and my less customised
kernels were mounting nfs3 on that box. So the fallback depends
on nfs4 being compiled in?

I don't want nfs4 yet, sane as I don't want the ext4 yet either ;)

But we have some control, at least, when we disagree with Mr Slackware.

Grant.