From: Eskimo on
Hello-
I'm trying to correct a problem on a Win 2003 Server, SP1 where the file
association for windows scripting has broken. I have attempted to
re-associate the .vbs extensions with cscript.exe, but it did not work
correctly. I poked around the registry in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive to see
if I could determine the correct association, but didn't know which script
class was the correct one. (many listed)

Anyone ever run into this issue or know how to correct. I tried Microsoft's
web site to see if I could re-install the script components, but the
scripten.exe package doesn't work on Windows 2003.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer

From: Jerold Schulman on
Open a CMD.EXE window.
type:
assoc .vbs=VBSFile

type:
ftype vbsfile=%SystemRoot%\System32\WScript.exe "%1" %*

See tip 2825 ? How do I change the default script host from Wscript to Cscript or visa versa?
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:21:12 -0500, "Eskimo" <p.strack(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>Hello-
>I'm trying to correct a problem on a Win 2003 Server, SP1 where the file
>association for windows scripting has broken. I have attempted to
>re-associate the .vbs extensions with cscript.exe, but it did not work
>correctly. I poked around the registry in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive to see
>if I could determine the correct association, but didn't know which script
>class was the correct one. (many listed)
>
>Anyone ever run into this issue or know how to correct. I tried Microsoft's
>web site to see if I could re-install the script components, but the
>scripten.exe package doesn't work on Windows 2003.
>
>Thanks for any help anyone can offer

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.