From: Kevin on
Hi.

Got a nslookup question if anyone knows the answer it would be greatly
appreciated.

We have many DC's in our site. At times, when I run nslookup I will get the
following results:
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 10.x.x.x: Timed out
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 10.x.x.x: TImed out
*** Default servers are not available
Default Server: UnKnows
Address: 10.x.x.x

The IP's that show above have been DC's that have been demoted and are no
longer in use; long time ago.

However, if I run nslookup again a while later, nslookup choosed other
default servers.

So, my question is, where can I find these default servers and remove them
so that this does not happen again?

Thanks for looking.
From: Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] on
Hello Kevin,

Check on the DNS zone properties the name server tab if they are still listed
there. Also run ipconfig /flushdns on the machines and try again. Did you
also cleanup AD sites and services from the demoted DCs, not done automatically?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.