From: Roger on
in access97, this works
SELECT businessId
FROM tblBusiness
WHERE baanPostalId = null

but not in access2007, it needs to be
SELECT businessId
FROM tblBusiness
WHERE baanPostalId is null

is there a compatiblity option that allows the original version to
run ?
From: Bob Barrows on
Roger wrote:
> in access97, this works
> SELECT businessId
> FROM tblBusiness
> WHERE baanPostalId = null
>

> but not in access2007, it needs to be
> SELECT businessId
> FROM tblBusiness
> WHERE baanPostalId is null
>
> is there a compatiblity option that allows the original version to
> run ?

Given that "baanPostalId = null: should not have "worked" in A97, I doubt
you will get a workaround. It likely ran without error, but it almost
certainly did not return the results you wanted. If it did, it is likely
that baanPostalId did not contain what you thought it did.

Nothing ever "equals" Null, not even in A95, let alone A97. That's part of
the definition of Null: "unknown value" never equals "unknown value". Only a
known value can equal a known value. Unknown can _be_ unknown, but it can
never equal it.

Are you telling me that attempting to use "baanPostalId = null" throws an
error in A2007? If so, all I can say is "Bravo!".

From: Allen Browne on
To add to what Bob said, the idea that Unknown = Unknown is not valid. It's
error #5 in this list:
Common Errors with Null
at:
http://allenbrowne.com/casu-12.html