From: kquirici on
Hi,

Is anybody out there using Appleworks?

If so you are are you creating drawings?

If so, are any of them very large, say 5 or more pages in each
direction?

If so, did you at one time notice that when you hit one of the scroll
arrows to go
up, down, left, or right, the scrolling accelerates so fast you're way
past where
you wanted to get to before you have a chance to stop the scrolling,
so you have to
inch your way back to where you wanted to be?

If so, did you find some program that you could install that would fix
this problem?
Some kind of global preference-setting that would force scrolling to
always be at the
same speed in Appleworks and any other application that exhibits this
behavior?

Regards,

Ken Quirici
From: David Empson on
kquirici(a)yahoo.com <kquirici(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is anybody out there using Appleworks?

Yes, occasionally to access old documents.

> If so you are are you creating drawings?

Not very often.

> If so, are any of them very large, say 5 or more pages in each
> direction?

No, but I just created one to see what you were experiencing.

> If so, did you at one time notice that when you hit one of the scroll
> arrows to go up, down, left, or right, the scrolling accelerates so fast
> you're way past where you wanted to get to before you have a chance to
> stop the scrolling, so you have to inch your way back to where you wanted
> to be?

That is how AppleWorks behaves for me (under Snow Leopard, and probably
every earlier version of Mac OS X).

Easy solution: don't hold down the scroll bar arrows to travel a
significant distance.

Clicking in the page left/right/up/down area of the scroll bars scrolls
the view one screen in that direction. If you keep holding the mouse
button down, you can scroll further in that direction by moving the
mouse in the same direction (within the scroll bar).

Another option is to use a mouse with a two dimensional scroll wheel
(e.g. Mighty Mouse, or Logitech mouse with sideways tilt, or Magic
Mouse). I use the two-finger scroll on my MacBooK Pro's trackpad, and it
scrolls sensibly.

> If so, did you find some program that you could install that would fix
> this problem?

It is programmed behaviour of AppleWorks, so I doubt any third party
application can do much about it.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: Erik Richard Sørensen on

kquirici(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> Is anybody out there using Appleworks?

Yes.

> If so you are are you creating drawings?

Indeed.

> If so, are any of them very large, say 5 or more pages in each
> direction?

Very few.

> If so, did you at one time notice that when you hit one of the scroll
> arrows to go up, down, left, or right, the scrolling accelerates so
> fast you're way past where you wanted to get to before you have a
> chance to stop the scrolling, so you have to inch your way back to
> where you wanted to be?

Indeed.:-(!

> If so, did you find some program that you could install that would fix
> this problem?

No.

> Some kind of global preference-setting that would force scrolling to
> always be at the

Well, in a way... I use Tinkertool to add double arrows in all
scrollbars and then only click on the arrows - not in the bar itself.
Tinkertool doesn't add scroll-speed control, but my experiences are that
it slows down the speed a bit - but not much.

Tinkertool 4.1 (freeware, for OS X 10.4.x through 10.6.x)

> same speed in Appleworks and any other application that exhibits this
> behavior?

No, I haven't found anything that can control the speed in AWKS -
unfortunately.:-(

Normally I work in AWKS Drawing this way with huge pictures...
- Make the picture at large as it should be in the end
- Place text fields, drawinds, tables and pictures
- roughly where they should be in the picture
- Scale the picture down to fit monitor size
(my monitors are a 24" or 28" monitors)
- Fine adjust textfields, pictures and other content
- Scale up/back to original size
- 'Save as' JPEG in maximum quality (or other wanted format)

And if it's for printout
- Either deliever the picture as is (primarely JPEG)
- Or open it in Preview and convert it to a max.-quality PDF

Sorry, but that's the only method I find really usable...

Cheers, Erik Richard

Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC, <mac-manNOSP(a)Mstofanet.dk>
NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
OpenOffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org