From: Nick Naym on
I was going to post this in microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage, but it no
longer exists, and my repeated attempts to register for the replacement
"forum" didn't succeed (even after trying to register using different login
names and eMail addresses).

I have my Entourage Main Identity folder backed up to my hard drive, using
an automator workflow tied to an iCal schedule, per the Entourage Help page.
On Friday, I suddenly began to receive system messages telling me that my
internal drive was full. In fact, it appeared that, for no apparent reason,
my documents folder had ballooned to many times its "normal" size. I
verified this by comparing it to the documents folders stored on my external
backup drives.

Hunting around, I discovered that the database file within my Entourage
Backup folder -- which should be about 7 GB -- had grown to 435 GB!

After scratching my head for about an hour, I was all set to delete the
Entourage Backup folder and start anew, when the "balloon" suddenly "burst":
the database file instantly shrank to zero (again for no apparent reason)!

Anyone know why this happened?

--
iMac (27", 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) � OS X (10.6.3)

From: Nick Naym on
In article C855219D.5E971%nicknaym@_remove_this_gmail.com.invalid, Nick Naym
at nicknaym@_remove_this_gmail.com.invalid wrote on 7/3/10 5:19 PM:

> I was going to post this in microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage, but it no
> longer exists, and my repeated attempts to register for the replacement
> "forum" didn't succeed (even after trying to register using different login
> names and eMail addresses).
>
> I have my Entourage Main Identity folder backed up to my hard drive, using
> an automator workflow tied to an iCal schedule, per the Entourage Help page.
> On Friday, I suddenly began to receive system messages telling me that my
> internal drive was full. In fact, it appeared that, for no apparent reason,
> my documents folder had ballooned to many times its "normal" size. I
> verified this by comparing it to the documents folders stored on my external
> backup drives.
>
> Hunting around, I discovered that the database file within my Entourage
> Backup folder -- which should be about 7 GB -- had grown to 435 GB!
>
> After scratching my head for about an hour, I was all set to delete the
> Entourage Backup folder and start anew, when the "balloon" suddenly "burst":
> the database file instantly shrank to zero (again for no apparent reason)!
>
> Anyone know why this happened?

No comments?

--
iMac (27", 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) � OS X (10.6.3)

From: David Empson on
Nick Naym <nicknaym@_remove_this_gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> In article C855219D.5E971%nicknaym@_remove_this_gmail.com.invalid, Nick Naym
> at nicknaym@_remove_this_gmail.com.invalid wrote on 7/3/10 5:19 PM:
>
> > I was going to post this in microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage, but it no
> > longer exists, and my repeated attempts to register for the replacement
> > "forum" didn't succeed (even after trying to register using different login
> > names and eMail addresses).
> >
> > I have my Entourage Main Identity folder backed up to my hard drive, using
> > an automator workflow tied to an iCal schedule, per the Entourage Help page.
> > On Friday, I suddenly began to receive system messages telling me that my
> > internal drive was full. In fact, it appeared that, for no apparent reason,
> > my documents folder had ballooned to many times its "normal" size. I
> > verified this by comparing it to the documents folders stored on my external
> > backup drives.
> >
> > Hunting around, I discovered that the database file within my Entourage
> > Backup folder -- which should be about 7 GB -- had grown to 435 GB!
> >
> > After scratching my head for about an hour, I was all set to delete the
> > Entourage Backup folder and start anew, when the "balloon" suddenly "burst":
> > the database file instantly shrank to zero (again for no apparent reason)!
> >
> > Anyone know why this happened?
>
> No comments?

My first thought was amazement that someone has 435 GB of free space on
their startup drive. :-)

Probably worth running Disk Utility to verify that your file system
doesn't have any problems.

I can't think of a reasonable explanation for a file apparently
shrinking if you didn't do anything to it.

A useful tool for examining where a lot of disk space has gone is Grand
Perspective. It shows a graphical view of all files on your disk (or the
specific area you examined), representing each file as a rectangle sized
in proportion to its file size, and grouped according to parent
directories. The big rectangles or groups of rectangels are the ones you
want to investigate.

Does your automator workflow ensure that Entourage is not running at the
point the database is backed up?

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: Davoud on
Nick Naym:
> > No comments?

David Empson:
> My first thought was amazement that someone has 435 GB of free space on
> their startup drive. :-)

My wife has 1.4 TB free on her latest-generation iMac. Am I jealous?

> Probably worth running Disk Utility to verify that your file system
> doesn't have any problems.

And then Rebuild the Entourage database by holding the Option key while
launching Entourage. Ignore the other options. Rebuild it.

Davoud

P.S. I have no idea what might have caused the problem in the first
place; only what might fix it, per Mr. Empson and myself.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
From: Wes Groleau on
On 07-06-2010 12:22, David Empson wrote:
> I can't think of a reasonable explanation for a file apparently
> shrinking if you didn't do anything to it.

I don't know much about Entourage, but it's common for a database
to not do garbage collection until it actually runs out of space.

In this case, it sounds like, “Oh, no, the Admiral's looking around!
Everybody clean up FAST!”

:-)

--
Wes Groleau