From: Kathryn on
I have set up two queries so that we can do a mail (email) merge with Word
2007 - one for mailing to individuals, the other to organisations.
I would now like to add "shortcuts"/ "commands" (or whatever the proper term
is!) to the Contacts Switchboard so that it opens the queries to set the
process in motion.

Alternatively, is there a way I can put something there that will
automatically select the query and start the "Mail merge to Word" wizard (or
is that just too ambitious?!)

I am beginning to get to grips with code if it's simply explained but don't
know anything about macros (yet...) The queries are called Email Query -
Individuals and Email Query - organisations. (I know this may not be
technically correct but means we know what we are talking about!)

Many thanks.
From: fredg on
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 02:31:01 -0700, Kathryn wrote:

> I have set up two queries so that we can do a mail (email) merge with Word
> 2007 - one for mailing to individuals, the other to organisations.
> I would now like to add "shortcuts"/ "commands" (or whatever the proper term
> is!) to the Contacts Switchboard so that it opens the queries to set the
> process in motion.
>
> Alternatively, is there a way I can put something there that will
> automatically select the query and start the "Mail merge to Word" wizard (or
> is that just too ambitious?!)
>
> I am beginning to get to grips with code if it's simply explained but don't
> know anything about macros (yet...) The queries are called Email Query -
> Individuals and Email Query - organisations. (I know this may not be
> technically correct but means we know what we are talking about!)
>
> Many thanks.

The Access built-in switchboard does not offer a direct method to open
a query (just another reason not to use the built-in switchboard
manager).
What you can do is create a macro to open the query. Then use the
switchboard manager to run the macro.

If you are comfortable with code, create a Module to open the query:

Public Sub OpenAQuery()
DoCmd.OpenQuery "QueryName"
End Sub

Then use the switchboard manager to RunCode in the Command Box and
enter OpenAQuery in the Function Name box.
--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.
From: Kathryn on
Thanks Fred

I haven't done much by way of code but think it is something I'll have to
get to grips with! I'll give this a try and see what happens!