From: Vahis on
I needed to install a system for a friend who's got a Huawei modem
and a prepaid sim card as the only Internet connection.

I installed Vodafone Mobile Connect Card driver for Linux

I also wrote down notes:

http://waxborg.servepics.com/opensuse/opensuse-huawei-sms

Vahis
--
"Sunrise 8:53am (EET), sunset 3:22pm (EET) at Espoo, Finland (6:29 hours daylight)"
http://waxborg.servepics.com
From: wolfgang kern on

Vahis posted:

> I needed to install a system for a friend who's got a Huawei modem
> and a prepaid sim card as the only Internet connection.

> I installed Vodafone Mobile Connect Card driver for Linux

> I also wrote down notes:

> http://waxborg.servepics.com/opensuse/opensuse-huawei-sms

Thanks for this one. Me too got an Huawei-egg as the only internet
connection, and I have to use windozeXP with it for now.

I'm really new to Linux and just managed to get SUSE 11.2 installed.
It may take some time before I get familiar with the new for me yet
abbreviations and the way of using it at all.

Your notes seem to describe how to install/configure this driver,
but where should I search for it ? (I got this 4.7GB Suse11.2 DVD)

TIA.

__
wolfgang
(BYA: yes, I mounted all visible M$-volumes in the suse install)

From: Hendrik van Hees on
Another alternative to the vodafone software is to use the
networkmanager to connect via the UMTS modem USB stick. The only pain in
the neck are the ISPs which do not provide one with the necessary
information. One has to google it (e.g. the phone number to dial in
etc.).

wolfgang kern wrote:

> Vahis posted:
>
>> I needed to install a system for a friend who's got a Huawei modem
>> and a prepaid sim card as the only Internet connection.
>
>> I installed Vodafone Mobile Connect Card driver for Linux
>
>> I also wrote down notes:
>
>> http://waxborg.servepics.com/opensuse/opensuse-huawei-sms
>
> Thanks for this one. Me too got an Huawei-egg as the only internet
> connection, and I have to use windozeXP with it for now.
>
> I'm really new to Linux and just managed to get SUSE 11.2 installed.
> It may take some time before I get familiar with the new for me yet
> abbreviations and the way of using it at all.
>
> Your notes seem to describe how to install/configure this driver,
> but where should I search for it ? (I got this 4.7GB Suse11.2 DVD)
>
> TIA.
>
> __
> wolfgang
> (BYA: yes, I mounted all visible M$-volumes in the suse install)

--
Hendrik van Hees
Institut f�r Theoretische Physik
From: Vahis on
On 2009-11-29, wolfgang kern <nowhere(a)never.at> wrote:

> Vahis posted:
>> I installed Vodafone Mobile Connect Card driver for Linux
>> I also wrote down notes:
>
>> http://waxborg.servepics.com/opensuse/opensuse-huawei-sms
>
> Thanks for this one. Me too got an Huawei-egg as the only internet
> connection, and I have to use windozeXP with it for now.
>
> I'm really new to Linux and just managed to get SUSE 11.2 installed.
> It may take some time before I get familiar with the new for me yet
> abbreviations and the way of using it at all.
>
> Your notes seem to describe how to install/configure this driver,
> but where should I search for it ? (I got this 4.7GB Suse11.2 DVD)

Read the installation part again.
It says:

First add repository
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/deltafox:/vodafone/openSUSE_11.2/
<snip>
Then install deltafox-vmc, that one pulls the dependencies
<snip>

Then it says: 1-click installation

You have installed 11.2, right?
Look at the picture there. It's Firefox.
When you look closely, the Google search engine has been changed to
openSUSE one in the pull-down in the upper right corner.

Do that and type vodafone in the search field.

Then do 1-click install of 11.0 version, since 11.2 version is not there
yet (it wasn't when I wrote the notes anyway).

Vahis
--
"Sunrise 8:55am (EET), sunset 3:21pm (EET) at Espoo, Finland (6:26 hours daylight)"
http://waxborg.servepics.com
Linux 2.6.25.20-0.5-default #1 SMP 2009-08-14 01:48:11 +0200 x86_64
4:01pm up 29 days 21:02, 12 users, load average: 0.02, 0.09, 0.08
From: Vahis on
On 2009-11-29, Hendrik van Hees <Hendrik.vanHees(a)physik.uni-giessen.de> wrote:

Vahis wrote:

>>I needed to install a system for a friend who's got a Huawei modem
>> and a prepaid sim card as the only Internet connection.
>
>> I installed Vodafone Mobile Connect Card driver for Linux
>
>> I also wrote down notes:
>
>> http://waxborg.servepics.com/opensuse/opensuse-huawei-sms

> Another alternative to the vodafone software is to use the
> networkmanager to connect via the UMTS modem USB stick.

If it's only about connecting, then yes.
You would not need this software for anything.

But in this case the ability to send/receive sms was crucial.

A special case, prepaid connection.
You buy a sim card together with an activating code.
Then you send that code using this sim card to get it activated.

When your time is running out the ISP sends you an sms reminder.
Then again you purchase a code and send it.

They advertise their prepaid connections a lot but they only have
software and instructions for windows.

The connection costs euro 6.90/week and has unlimited data rate and
speed (within HSDPA) so it's quite usable (and untrackable)

> The only pain in
> the neck are the ISPs which do not provide one with the necessary
> information. One has to google it (e.g. the phone number to dial in
> etc.)

Usually the number (*99# most of the time) as well as the API
are available on the operator's web site.

And, of course you need them in this case, too.
Just that in this particular case the settings are already on the sim.
All you have to do is connect once you've sent the code.

Vahis
--
"Sunrise 8:55am (EET), sunset 3:21pm (EET) at Espoo, Finland (6:26 hours daylight)"
http://waxborg.servepics.com
Linux 2.6.25.20-0.5-default #1 SMP 2009-08-14 01:48:11 +0200 x86_64
4:33pm up 29 days 21:34, 12 users, load average: 0.47, 0.44, 0.38
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: 11.2X64 KDE4 and Gnome
Next: Need help with autossh