From: vsevolod afanassiev on
Could be related to memory management: Oracle 9 and 10 create only one
shared meemory segment on startup, Oracle 11 may create many segmeents
in order to allow dynamic SGA resizing.
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Mon, 17 May 2010 20:54:18 -0700, zigzagdna wrote:

> I find that Oracle 11g takes much longer to start than Oracle 19g or 9g.
> I am on HP UNIX 11i server, Have others observed similar issue. Are they
> any init.ora parameters to speed up startup.
>
> Thanks.

There is an underscore parameter, just for your purpose:
"_make_oracle_go_faster_no_no_not_that_fast_aaaaargh", you should try it.
How frequently do you start your instance? You should remember that all
good things come to those who wait. Patience is a virtue.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: ddf on
On May 18, 8:15 am, vsevolod afanassiev
<vsevolod.afanass...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Could be related to memory management: Oracle 9 and 10 create only one
> shared meemory segment on startup, Oracle 11 may create many segmeents
> in order to allow dynamic SGA resizing.

Not necessarily. 9i did not use NUMA for shared segments, although it
did use NUMA for private memory areas. 10gR2 changed that and
configured both shared and private memory for NUMA which results it
multiple shared memory segments created at startup. This depends upon
your hardware configuration and O/S (both must be NUMA-enabled) but
without setting additional parameters or applying a patch 10gR2 can
start multiple shared memory segments and you may not know it's being
done.
From: zigzagdna on
On May 18, 9:50 am, ddf <orat...(a)msn.com> wrote:
> On May 18, 8:15 am, vsevolod afanassiev
>
> <vsevolod.afanass...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Could be related to memory management: Oracle 9 and 10 create only one
> > shared meemory segment on startup, Oracle 11 may create many segmeents
> > in order to allow dynamic SGA resizing.
>
> Not necessarily.  9i did not use NUMA for shared segments, although it
> did use NUMA for private memory areas. 10gR2 changed that and
> configured both shared and private memory for NUMA which results it
> multiple shared memory segments created at startup.  This depends upon
> your hardware configuration and  O/S (both must be NUMA-enabled) but
> without setting additional parameters or applying a patch 10gR2 can
> start multiple shared memory segments and you may not know it's being
> done.

I found a bug in Oracle 11g today related to startup,
I did startup

It said Oracle instance started
Shwhed me sga information
SHowd Database Mounted

After mounted it got hung, in the past after 10 minute sor so, it will
show I thing database open, but today it did for hours.

I thought my database was not opened. then my users told that they are
accessing database without problem,

So, I opened another problem and wow I could connect so database was
open eventhough it wa shung in startup.

HAs anyone notice dthis with Oracle 11.1.0.7.1

This Oracle is really buggy. I did not notice while I was testing for
last 3 months, but as soon as I went to production, I have encountered
this problem.

Now my scripts for shuttiong down database etc will not work because
they will hung.

From: gazzag on
On 18 May, 22:15, zigzagdna <zigzag...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> I found a bug in Oracle 11g today related to startup,
> I did startup
>
> It said Oracle instance started
> Shwhed me sga information
> SHowd Database Mounted
>
> After mounted it got hung, in the past after 10 minute sor so, it will
> show I thing database open, but today it did for hours.
>
> I thought my database was not opened. then my users told that they are
> accessing database without problem,
>
> So, I opened another problem and  wow I could connect so database was
> open eventhough it wa shung in startup.
>
> HAs anyone notice dthis with Oracle 11.1.0.7.1
>
> This Oracle is really buggy. I did not notice while I was testing for
> last 3 months, but as soon as I went to production, I have encountered
> this problem.
>
> Now my scripts for shuttiong down database etc will not work because
> they will hung.

Anything in the alert log?

HTH
-g