From: "Daevid Vincent" on
http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101174

You could do it like this too...

ORDER BY `rollnumber` + 0 ASC

And if you just got the data out in mysql (no ORDER BY -- which can be slow
in mysql), you could use PHP's sort as well...

http://php.net/manual/en/function.natsort.php

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 16:16 -0800, Daevid Vincent wrote:

> http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101174
>
> You could do it like this too...
>
> ORDER BY `rollnumber` + 0 ASC
>
> And if you just got the data out in mysql (no ORDER BY -- which can be slow
> in mysql), you could use PHP's sort as well...
>
> http://php.net/manual/en/function.natsort.php

I've always found that ordering is much faster in MySQL than PHP. You
use quite a lot of memory sorting in PHP as well, as you first have to
load the whole result set into an array, which is additional to any
memory used in the result set by PHP and MySQL anyway.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: "Daevid Vincent" on
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mysql+order+by+slow

it's notoriously slow to use ORDER BY with large tables. Mainly b/c mySQL
has to use a hash/temp table to re-sort AFAIK.

I wasn't thinking of sorting the whole set, only the list of numbers as the
OP only talked about sorting a single column...

>>> rollnumber is a varchar(50). I need it to be a text field. ASC does
>>> not order the way I want.
>>>
>>> 1000
>>> 1001
>>> 998
>>> 999
>>>
>>> I want it to order like this:
>>>
>>> 998
>>> 999
>>> 1000
>>> 1001

_____

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 17:11 -0800, Daevid Vincent wrote:

> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mysql+order+by+slow
>
> it's notoriously slow to use ORDER BY with large tables. Mainly b/c mySQL
> has to use a hash/temp table to re-sort AFAIK.
>
> I wasn't thinking of sorting the whole set, only the list of numbers as the
> OP only talked about sorting a single column...

> _____

I had a look at some of the results from that link to Google, but I
didn't see anything indicating MySQL was slower at ordering than PHP,
only that MySQL has issues ordering very large query sets on queries
that it cannot use an index to order on.

I've tried optimising ordering in both PHP and MySQL, and found that
usually it's best to leave as much to the database as possible, unless
the ordering becomes too complex.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk