From: undisclosed on

I am at my wit's end. I was trying to clean some nasty trojans from my
Lenovo T60p laptop running Windows XP sp2. The trojans disabled my
antispyware software and kept me from opening task manager.

So I tried to boot into safe mode to run the antispyware from there.
F8 wasn't loading safe mode, so I went to msconfig and clicked the
/safeboot option under boot.ini. When I rebooted my computer into safe
mode, I got a page_fault_in_non_paged_area blue screen error, then it
tried to restart, same error. The same thing happens in booting to
normal or last known good modes.

I used the XP recovery console from the cd-drive and did the bootcfg
/rebuild thing. My hope was that it would reset the boot.ini file,
getting rid of the /safeboot option, and hopefully returning things to
normal. But it didn't help. I still get the page fault error.

I have a backup, so I can try some fairly aggressive solutions if
anyone has them. But I would really, really like to fix this so I don't
have to reinstall Windows. Does anyone have any ideas? My thanks in
advance!

Ben

--
bensy
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

<undisclosed> wrote in message

> I am at my wit's end. I was trying to clean some nasty trojans from my
> Lenovo T60p laptop running Windows XP sp2. The trojans disabled my
> antispyware software and kept me from opening task manager.
>
> So I tried to boot into safe mode to run the antispyware from there.
> F8 wasn't loading safe mode, so I went to msconfig and clicked the
> /safeboot option under boot.ini. When I rebooted my computer into safe
> mode, I got a page_fault_in_non_paged_area blue screen error, then it
> tried to restart, same error. The same thing happens in booting to
> normal or last known good modes.
>
> I used the XP recovery console from the cd-drive and did the bootcfg
> /rebuild thing. My hope was that it would reset the boot.ini file,
> getting rid of the /safeboot option, and hopefully returning things to
> normal. But it didn't help. I still get the page fault error.
>
> I have a backup, so I can try some fairly aggressive solutions if
> anyone has them. But I would really, really like to fix this so I don't
> have to reinstall Windows. Does anyone have any ideas? My thanks in
> advance!
>
> Ben

The main purpose of virus scanners is to protect you against infection. Some
of them can fix some of the damage done by viruses by they cannot fix
everything. You may not like it but your best bet is to save your data files
(including your EMail files!) to an external medium, then format the disk
and re-install Windows. It's the fastest way to give you a robust
installation with a guaranteed outcome.

Post again if you need instructions how to save your files. You should also
review your current virus protection and consider practising safe hex.

From: undisclosed on

Yes, could you please tell me how to do that?

I have ThinkVantage rescue software, and it appears to be writing my
data to an external drive, but when I open the external drive on another
computer, my files aren't there. So I need a new strategy. The best
thing would be if I could copy the files to my external hard drive, but
I don't know if that is possible.

Thank you.

--
bensy
From: undisclosed on

Another question -- I have discovered that the ThinkVantage recovery
software is writing my data to my external hard drive. I can browse the
external drive from the software, and my data shows up. However, when I
hook the hard drive up to another computer, I can't see the data.

One detail: the TV recovery software appears to be giving the External
drive the letter C:, and when another computer browses the drive, it
labels it E:

Is there any way to fix this? Or should I go for another way of
copying the data?

Thanks again.

--
bensy
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

> Yes, could you please tell me how to do that?

Click Start/Help, then look for help on System Restore. It tells you exactly
how to invoke and use the wizard.

> I have ThinkVantage rescue software, and it appears to be writing my
> data to an external drive, but when I open the external drive on another
> computer, my files aren't there. So I need a new strategy. The best
> thing would be if I could copy the files to my external hard drive, but
> I don't know if that is possible.

I know nothing about ThinkVantage. I recommend you check the manual and/or
the ThinkVantage FAQs.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Command Prompt stuck open