From: Big Al Big on
When I run patchregcleanup-x86.exe I get the message "A product code must be
specified Press any key to exit" How can I fix?
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Big Al" <Big Al(a)discussions.microsoft.com>

| When I run patchregcleanup-x86.exe I get the message "A product code must be
| specified Press any key to exit" How can I fix?

Where did this file come from ?

--
Dave

From: Shenan Stanley on
Big Al wrote:
> When I run patchregcleanup-x86.exe I get the message "A product
> code must be specified Press any key to exit" How can I fix?

Is this where you downloaded the file from?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0a162694-4d9d-4676-8283-1ba674374d71

It references this web page:

Description of the Patch Registration Cleanup Tool
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976220

Have you read it?

At the very start it states, "Note To see usage information for this tool,
type PatchRegCleanup /? at the command prompt." Done that yet?

If not - it tells you how to utilize it. It is not a double-click and go
product. It is a command line product.

This is what the help says :

"Removes patch registration for partially registered patches for the product
specified by <ProductCode>)

PatchRegCleanup productcode [/q] [/v] [/l <LogFile>]

productcode GUID for the product you want to clean up
/q quiet mode
/v verbose output
/l <log file> Full path and name of the file for logging output

Example: PatchRegCleanup {CB2F7EDD-9D1F-43C1-90FC-4F52EAE172A1} /v /q /l
c:\PatchRegCleanup.log"

So - it told you what you needed to provide... The "productcode" or the
"GUID for the product you want to clean up".

If you don't understand how to do that, probably this tool is not what you
want to use or you need better instructions from whomever told you to use
it.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Dane on
Shenan, Microsoft insructs users that are having issues running updates to
run this tool. Their insructions are very unclear. I would suggest you do
less patronizing and more explaining next time.
From: Shenan Stanley on

Dane wrote:
> Shenan, Microsoft insructs users that are having issues running
> updates to run this tool. Their insructions are very unclear. I
> would suggest you do less patronizing and more explaining next time.

I did not patronize. I pointed out some very clear things that are true
*and* gave the instructions so they could be seen clearly here as well as on
the associated web page.

I request you tell me where I was patronizing to anyone and not just being
truthful and direct?

Or, like many tend to do, did you 'read-into' what I said, give it emotions
and intentions? Interpretation is, by definition, in the
eye-of-the-beholder; your interpretation may not be the intention nor how
someone else would interpret what I typed.

If a tool is not understood, then the user probably should not be using it
and/or better get detailed instructions given to them by whomever told them
to utilize said tool. Microsoft, you, me, whomever - doesn't matter who
drops the ball. I have not told anyone in this conversation to use the
tool - so I felt just repeating verbatim what they could get by following
the instructions from the associated web page for the tool would be
sufficient and kind.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP