From: Bruce Chambers on
Big Al wrote:
> When I run patchregcleanup-x86.exe I get the message "A product code must be
> specified Press any key to exit" How can I fix?

Enter the required Product Code.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: Geoff on
It would be really good if someone just explained how to obrtain the
approriat GUID. As another user said...micriost says to run this tool if you
want to clean up errors from patch installation but does not state what GUID
to use or if you need to run this once or multiple times for different
GUID's. The online help does not really help unless you already undestand
how it works.

Peaple ask questions because they don't underrstand and are trying to get to
a point of understanding...and I would have to agree that being told that if
i don't understand I should not be attempting to run his command even though
Microsoft recommend it....is a bit rich...I am sure we have all asked
questions on something we do not fully understand before...that is how we
learn...

Can we please get this thread back on track to addrssing the issue many of
us have ... that microsoft recommend running this commend but does not give
much guidance or explaination....Thanks everyone....

From: Shenan Stanley on
Geoff wrote:
> It would be really good if someone just explained how to obrtain the
> approriat GUID. As another user said...micriost says to run this
> tool if you want to clean up errors from patch installation but
> does not state what GUID to use or if you need to run this once or
> multiple times for different GUID's. The online help does not
> really help unless you already undestand how it works.
>
> Peaple ask questions because they don't underrstand and are trying
> to get to a point of understanding...and I would have to agree that
> being told that if i don't understand I should not be attempting to
> run his command even though Microsoft recommend it....is a bit
> rich...I am sure we have all asked questions on something we do not
> fully understand before...that is how we learn...
>
> Can we please get this thread back on track to addrssing the issue
> many of us have ... that microsoft recommend running this commend
> but does not give much guidance or explaination....Thanks
> everyone....

As was very clearly explained already - you are the only one with the
information you need and if you are unable to obtain the information, the
tool *is not* what you should be using.

*If* someone at Microsoft told *you* to run this tool - you should ask them
for assistance on how to use it and what GUID or ProductID you should be
entering. If you just found the tool and are trying to use it to fit your
situation... perhaps you should look elsewhere.

Either way - you should read the suggested material (the web page pointed
to) as it cannot get clearer than that on how to find what you need...

Previous Entire Thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin/browse_frm/thread/5386c4b56b8cbf87/

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Twayne on
In news:C833D347-FA3F-4938-99E8-201F14FA3973(a)microsoft.com,
Geoff <Geoff(a)discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> It would be really good if someone just explained how to
> obrtain the approriat GUID. As another user
> said...micriost says to run this tool if you want to clean
> up errors from patch installation but does not state what
> GUID to use or if you need to run this once or multiple
> times for different GUID's. The online help does not
> really help unless you already undestand how it works.

RTFM. I just took a look at it and it's clear at least to me how to use it
and what it'll do. You don't get many useful responses wth the kind of post
you posted and without at least having read the docs, and done some work
with a search engine.
How to find the guid: RTFM that came with it, or from the provider's
site. Go from there.