From: dorayme on
In article
<20100403073853.7b081885(a)bootnic.eternal-september.org>,
BootNic <bootnic.bounce(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> IE 8 supports inline-block just fine.
>
> IE 6 & 7 life support is 100 days and counting, would it be worth
> correcting the css for that?
>
> At any rate, there is no need to edit the html.
>
> <!--[if lte IE 7]>
> #wrap div {
> display:inline;
> zoom:1;
> }
> <![endif]-->
>
> [snip]

That's the bit I have somewhere filed on this machine. I should
have a folder with Bootnic in the name so I can find it when my
memory fails. As it is buried in stuff on IE, it can't easily be
found!

When I was on Mac OS 6 or was it 8, there was a program one could
buy to store things in a way that was more like the way a wet
memory works, you could stick any old thing in a big bin with
various keywords attached. And this made it easy to search to dig
it out.

--
dorayme
From: Jonathan N. Little on
Mason C wrote:

> My month of March server reports:
> (less than 5% of the Operas were mine)
> (versions are not reported)
> Opera 31.1 %
> Firefox 30.4 %
> MS Internet Explorer 21.9 %
> Mozilla 7.6 %
> Safari 7 %
> Unknown ? 1.2 %
> Nokia Browser (PDA/Phone browser) 0.1 %
> Curl Yes 0.1 %
> Konqueror 0.1 %
> Netscape 0 %
> Others 0.1 %

You must use Opera, I have yet to see Opera garner more than 2% on any
of my sites.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
From: Mason C on
On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 20:07:45 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4art(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Mason C wrote:
>

>> My month of March server reports:
>> (less than 5% of the Operas were mine)
>> (versions are not reported)
>> Opera 31.1 %
>> Firefox 30.4 %
>> MS Internet Explorer 21.9 %
>> Mozilla 7.6 %
>> Safari 7 %
>> Unknown ? 1.2 %
>> Nokia Browser (PDA/Phone browser) 0.1 %
>> Curl Yes 0.1 %
>> Konqueror 0.1 %
>> Netscape 0 %
>> Others 0.1 %
>

>You must use Opera, I have yet to see Opera garner more than 2% on any
>of my sites.

I suspect that you are right. My use of Opera in re-designing my site may
have involved many more hits than I realized, although my editor uses
MSIE and off line.
From: Rob W. on
Op 3-4-2010 23:22, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn schreef:
> Rob W. wrote:

>> 1. Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 5.779.670 39,80%
>> 2. Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0 4.750.849 32,71%
>> 3. Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 876.458 6,04%
>> 4. Mozilla Firefox 3.5.7 492.731 3,39%
>> 5. Safari 4.0.4 416.556 2,87%
>> 6. Mozilla Firefox 3.6 379.801 2,62%
>
> Whether your numbers resemble reality or not, they are definitely worthless
> in the way you have posted them. There is no statement with regard to their
> source, or time or method of data collection whatsoever.
>

> PointedEars

You're absolutely right.

Country: the Netherlands
Period: Jan 1, 2010 - April 2, 2010
Site: large websites of gov agency
Measured by Nedstat

--
RW
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Rob W. wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn schreef:

>>> 1. Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 5.779.670 39,80%
>>> 2. Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0 4.750.849 32,71%
>>> 3. Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 876.458 6,04%
>>> 4. Mozilla Firefox 3.5.7 492.731 3,39%
>>> 5. Safari 4.0.4 416.556 2,87%
>>> 6. Mozilla Firefox 3.6 379.801 2,62%
>>
>> Whether your numbers resemble reality or not, they are definitely
>> worthless in the way you have posted them. There is no statement with
>> regard to their source, or time or method of data collection whatsoever.
>> [...]
>
> You're absolutely right.
>
> Country: the Netherlands
> Period: Jan 1, 2010 - April 2, 2010
> Site: large websites of gov agency
> Measured by Nedstat

Much too unspecified. For a start:

- How was it made sure that the visitors were only from the Netherlands,
if at all?
- From which to which times have the data been collected? On every day?
- Which sites were watched exactly?
- Which method exactly did "Nedstat" employ to collect the data?

I must further inform you, then, that the figures you have posted are
irrelevant with regard to the question above, even for the Netherlands,
and worthless as they are not representative.

The question was _not_ how many visitors or which percentage of visitors of
a specific Web site or subset of Websites used Internet Explorer, versions
7 and 6, in the last months (that is, provided that "Nedstat" could
reliably determine that, which it cannot as the User-Agent header is
subject to deliberate forging by vendors and users, if it is sent at all).

The question was instead how many *people* *are using* these browsers
distributed over a *representative* set of Web sites (at best: all Web
sites), the collection of data being supported by a reliable method to
determine those versions.

HTH

PointedEars