From: Josiah Jenkins on
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 21:09:24 +1000, dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au>
> Josiah Jenkins <josiah-jenkins(a)somewhere_else.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> And, as we're generally writing either 'vanity' or 'hobby' pages
>> rather than earning a crust for our work, we can (literally)
>> afford to ignore the Win 9* and W2K users.
>
>You are saying that your pleasure is making websites for you to
>see.

Not quite. I first dabbled in HTML to create a (spoof) site
for a newsgroup, soc.culture.scottish, around 12 years ago.

That part is now an archive of 'the best bits'.
--
http://www.ian-stewart.eu
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Adrienne Boswell wrote:

> Ed Mullen [wrote]:
>> Considering that, I wonder if this notion has any validity or can gain
>> any traction:
>>
>> If site designers abandon supporting IE6, IE7 and below, won't that
>> force OS and browser upgrades? I mean, at some point, won't people and
>> organizations so rooted in the past finally be forced "bite the
>> bullet" and get dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century?
>
> In this economy, no, people are not going to spend money to upgrade an OS
> just so they can use a better version of IE. What they will do it use a
> better browser on that machine.

Iff there is such an application that runs there. There are a few people
still running Nescape 4(.7+) because the performance of their machine is
insufficient to run something else (e.g. Firefox), and they won't buy more
RAM/faster CPU or a new machine until the current system does no longer
power-on.

> [...]
>> And the ones that don't? Do we really care?
>
> I think that a site should be usable for everyone, no matter what kind of
> browser they are using. It doesn't have to look great, but the content
> and navigation must be available.

Full ACK.

> I seem to remember something about Netscape 4 not being able to read
> certain media types, so if a stylesheet had that media type, Netscape
> would happily show the page without the stylesheet. Perhaps there is
> something for IE6 that does the same.

Conditional Comments are the proven means when you want a stylesheet to be
considered only by certain IE versions:

<!--[if gt IE 6]>
style or link element
<![endif]-->

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library/ms537512.aspx>

PointedEars
--
var bugRiddenCrashPronePieceOfJunk = (
) // Plone, register_function.js:16
From: Jonathan N. Little on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Iff there is such an application that runs there. There are a few people
> still running Nescape 4(.7+) because the performance of their machine is
> insufficient to run something else (e.g. Firefox), and they won't buy more
> RAM/faster CPU or a new machine until the current system does no longer
> power-on.

I highly doubt that. Firefox runs just fine and a 433Hz Celeron 256MB
Ubuntu system. Don't think there are many PII and 486 systems out there.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
From: Jonathan N. Little on

Damn! I have to change the theme on my client--the the reply to group
and reply all button look too similar! Sorry for the additional post to
your inbox.

--
Take care,

Jonathan