From: Eric Smith on
I was hoping to download Francesco Poderico's Picoblaze C compiler
today, but unfortunately his domain is expired. Google didn't
turn up any other sites from which I can download it; does anyone
know of such a location, or would anyone be willing to make it
available online or send me a copy? (Provided that doing so
doesn't violate any license terms.)

Thanks!
Eric
From: -jg on

Eric Smith wrote:
> I was hoping to download Francesco Poderico's Picoblaze C compiler
> today, but unfortunately his domain is expired. Google didn't
> turn up any other sites from which I can download it; does anyone
> know of such a location, or would anyone be willing to make it
> available online or send me a copy? (Provided that doing so
> doesn't violate any license terms.)

Shouldn't this be something Xilinx should sponser ?
Seems a shame a tool like this vanishes, for want of
a liltte infrastructure ?

Or, I suppose Lattice could be interested in a Mico8 variant of this
compiler, as they are quite similar cores, and Lattice are
proven open-source friendly ?

-jg.

From: Nico Coesel on
Eric Smith <eric(a)brouhaha.com> wrote:

>I was hoping to download Francesco Poderico's Picoblaze C compiler
>today, but unfortunately his domain is expired. Google didn't
>turn up any other sites from which I can download it; does anyone
>know of such a location, or would anyone be willing to make it
>available online or send me a copy? (Provided that doing so
>doesn't violate any license terms.)

Are you sure you want to use that compiler? Last time I checked it
didn't seem very usefull (no optimisations at all). You're probably
better of writing your program in assembly language.

--
Reply to nico(a)nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
From: Symon on
Google is your friend.
http://www.asm.ro/fpga/
HTH, Syms

From: fpga_toys on
On Apr 14, 7:17 am, n...(a)puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote:
> Are you sure you want to use that compiler? Last time I checked it
> didn't seem very usefull (no optimisations at all). You're probably
> better of writing your program in assembly language.

For nearly 30 years there have been various C compilers for small
micro's, ever since Ron Cain knocked off the Small-C compiler for the
8080 with a little help from me (a free SRI International PDP-11 unix
account as long as the compiler was public domain). These compilers do
not need to be perfect, or even great, just correct, to quickly knock
off projects that would take weeks in assembler. For most, careful
coding will get your project 95% of the way toward good/excellent
performance, with a small amount of asm functions and tweeking at the
end to meet timing goals.

For a tiny PB PLD project, it might not be practical ... for a larger
PB Spartan project, it might be the only quick prototyping choice that
makes sense, from early concept to production.