From: Brooks Moses on
analyst41(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> Well,pushing the idea further, we should be able to put both the
> source code and text and graphic comments all together at an editable
> web page and some kind of IDE interface should be able extract only
> the source code for compilation.

Indeed. You've just reinvented Literate Programming. Don Knuth
invented it back in the late 1970s. The combined language is called
"web"; there are then programs "tangle" and "weave" which either typeset
the comments and program, or extract the compilable source code. I
believe that there are currently-existing variants which work with
Fortran 77, though I'm not sure about more recent Fortrans.

- Brooks

From: mecej4 on
analyst41(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 20, 1:42 pm, Dan Nagle <danna...(a)verizon.net> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> analys...(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>>> I suppose this applies to any programming language.
>>> What does the standard say about pictures as comments ?
>>> I think it would be a great idea.
>> You may place any characters you want following a !,
>> so a url to a graphic is as ok as anything else.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Dan Nagle
>> Purple Sage Computing Solutions, Inc.
>
> Well,pushing the idea further, we should be able to put both the
> source code and text and graphic comments all together at an editable
> web page and some kind of IDE interface should be able extract only
> the source code for compilation.

The idea is neither far-fetched nor new. Knuth the Great designed his
WEB system nearly four decades ago with similar objectives. He published
some papers on "literate programming". The WEB system did not become as
hugely successful as TeX, however.

-- mecej4
From: gary.l.scott on
On Feb 21, 7:46 am, mecej4 <mec...(a)operamail.com> wrote:
> analys...(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> > On Feb 20, 1:42 pm, Dan Nagle <danna...(a)verizon.net> wrote:

> >> You may place any characters you want following a !,
> >> so a url to a graphic is as ok as anything else.
>
> >> --
> >> Cheers!
>
> >> Dan Nagle
> >> Purple Sage Computing Solutions, Inc.
>
> > Well,pushing the idea further, we should be able to put both the
> > source code and text and graphic comments all together at an editable
> > web page and some kind of IDE interface should be able extract only
> > the source code for compilation.
>
> The idea is neither far-fetched nor new. Knuth the Great designed his
> WEB system nearly four decades ago with similar objectives. He published
> some papers on "literate programming". The WEB system did not become as
> hugely successful as TeX, however.
>
> -- mecej4

TeX is successful? In a limited way I guess. I'd say that Mainframe
VM's GML is more successful as it begat SGML and subsequently HTML
(XML and similar, etc.). GML really is superior to all the begats
though as they all dumbed it down.

From: Paul van Delst on
analyst41(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 20, 5:29 pm, Paul van Delst <Paul.vanDe...(a)noaa.gov> wrote:
>> analys...(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>>> Well,pushing the idea further, we should be able to put both the
>>> source code and text and graphic comments all together at an editable
>>> web page and some kind of IDE interface should be able extract only
>>> the source code for compilation.
>> I'll bite (I'm assuming you're having a slow day and need a bit of a troll fix :o)
>>
>> All I can think of is the constant state of conflict the file would be in after I've
>> checked the code out of the repository, stripped the graphics, made textual changes, and
>> checked my regular old text file back in. The next graphics enabled checkin would
>> (presumably) replace all the cruft back in there.
>>
>> I may be(coming) a bit of a curmudgeon, but what possible benefit would inline images in
>> source code provide? Most source code is already cluttered up with regular old ASCII.
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> paulv
>>

> You don't think that diagrams (I don't mean flowcharts) lined up by
> the side of code-listings offer an opportunity for clear and concise
> documentation ?

As Gary Scott's post indicated, having related documentation (including images) alongside
the source is indeed helpful. My web pages have a form of this (e.g. click on a derived
type component to see what "allowed" values it is allowed to have in the code, or click on
a definition of a structure variable and it display the actual derived type definition in
a separate window) and it makes for quicker understanding of the code (IMO).

Actually .... now that I think about it rather than just pooh-pooh your idea (sorry :o),
it may be possibly useful. I was using Dreamweaver last night and the editor has a "code",
"design", or "split" (i.e. shows both code+design) display mode. That would actually be
pretty close to your idea. The code section of the IDE is just that - only html/js/css/etc
code. The design part shows a sort-of representation of how the page would appear
(including any images, etc). It isn't too great a stretch to apply that sort of template
to other types of source code. And the user can choose to view it or not based on whether
they think it's a good idea or not. The details of how to structure and use the source
file (maybe pre-process it before compilation, or use directives to stick in the extra
stuff) is a bit of a sticking point, but still.... Dreamweaver might be a good template
for your idea.

(And other posters have pointed out that it's already been sort of done, i.e. Knuth's WEB)

cheers,

paulv

--
Paul van Delst Ride lots.
CIMSS @ NOAA/NCEP/EMC Eddy Merckx
From: Erik Edelmann on
On 2007-02-21, Brooks Moses <bmoses-nospam(a)cits1.stanford.edu> wrote:
> analyst41(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>> Well,pushing the idea further, we should be able to put both the
>> source code and text and graphic comments all together at an editable
>> web page and some kind of IDE interface should be able extract only
>> the source code for compilation.
>
> Indeed. You've just reinvented Literate Programming. Don Knuth
> invented it back in the late 1970s. The combined language is called
> "web"; there are then programs "tangle" and "weave" which either typeset
> the comments and program, or extract the compilable source code. I
> believe that there are currently-existing variants which work with
> Fortran 77, though I'm not sure about more recent Fortrans.

There's a tool called noweb (http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~nr/noweb/) which
is language-independent. I haven't used it myself with fortran
(not much with other languages either), but I suppose it would work.

Erik