From: KJ on
I own an Asus P4R800-VM and I would like to connect it to my TV set through
the TV out. There is a TV-out connector onboard (6-1 pin, TV_OUT1) and I
know there is a bracket/module for this (ASUS AV/S), but I do not want to
use this (space and costs). I think it can't be that difficult to create my
own, I do not see so much electronic parts on the module. It is just a
matter of connecting cables. But I don't know the pin layout/meaning of the
connector (it is not in the manual, all others connectors are)
Does anybody know the meaning of the pins? There are 5 pins, I reckon there
is 1 common ground, 1 composite signal en a couple for s-video/s-vhs
(luminance (Y) & chrominance (C ))
Pin1 from the connector is on the board & the manual topright)
I saw that all/most Asus boards with tv-out have the same connector and
probable the same pin layout.

Mine is:

_______

|* *|1

|* * *|
-----
Does anybody know this? Or owns a ASUS AV/S module and could check this?
I would help me a lot. Thx.

From: Paul on
In article <439ea080$0$11066$e4fe514c(a)news.xs4all.nl>, "KJ"
<iemand(a)microsoft.com> wrote:

> I own an Asus P4R800-VM and I would like to connect it to my TV set through
> the TV out. There is a TV-out connector onboard (6-1 pin, TV_OUT1) and I
> know there is a bracket/module for this (ASUS AV/S), but I do not want to
> use this (space and costs). I think it can't be that difficult to create my
> own, I do not see so much electronic parts on the module. It is just a
> matter of connecting cables. But I don't know the pin layout/meaning of the
> connector (it is not in the manual, all others connectors are)
> Does anybody know the meaning of the pins? There are 5 pins, I reckon there
> is 1 common ground, 1 composite signal en a couple for s-video/s-vhs
> (luminance (Y) & chrominance (C ))
> Pin1 from the connector is on the board & the manual topright)
> I saw that all/most Asus boards with tv-out have the same connector and
> probable the same pin layout.
>
> Mine is:
>
> _______
>
> |* *|1
>
> |* * *|
> -----
> Does anybody know this? Or owns a ASUS AV/S module and could check this?
> I would help me a lot. Thx.

PDF page 38 of this new motherboard manual has a pinout:
http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/A8N-VMCSM/e2294_a8n-vm_csm.pdf

Post back whatever you discover, like whether the pin labels
are correct or not. With the computer unplugged, it should
be fairly easy to use an ohmmeter, and verify the two ground
pins.

Paul
From: KJ on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> schreef in bericht
> In article <439ea080$0$11066$e4fe514c(a)news.xs4all.nl>, "KJ"
> <iemand(a)microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> I own an Asus P4R800-VM and I would like to connect it to my TV set
>> through
>> the TV out. There is a TV-out connector onboard (6-1 pin, TV_OUT1) and I
>> know there is a bracket/module for this (ASUS AV/S), but I do not want to
>> use this (space and costs). I think it can't be that difficult to create
>> my
>> own, I do not see so much electronic parts on the module. It is just a
>> matter of connecting cables. But I don't know the pin layout/meaning of
>> the
>> connector (it is not in the manual, all others connectors are)
>> Does anybody know the meaning of the pins? There are 5 pins, I reckon
>> there
>> is 1 common ground, 1 composite signal en a couple for s-video/s-vhs
>> (luminance (Y) & chrominance (C ))
>> Pin1 from the connector is on the board & the manual topright)
>> I saw that all/most Asus boards with tv-out have the same connector and
>> probable the same pin layout.
>>
>> Mine is:
>>
>> _______
>>
>> |* *|1
>>
>> |* * *|
>> -----
>> Does anybody know this? Or owns a ASUS AV/S module and could check this?
>> I would help me a lot. Thx.
>
> PDF page 38 of this new motherboard manual has a pinout:
> http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/A8N-VMCSM/e2294_a8n-vm_csm.pdf
>
> Post back whatever you discover, like whether the pin labels
> are correct or not. With the computer unplugged, it should
> be fairly easy to use an ohmmeter, and verify the two ground
> pins.
>
> Paul

Yes that's right indeed. I did find the two grounds pretty easy and those
seem to be/are the same (the two on each side of the empty one). But now i
found two 'readings' of the rest of the pins. One (yours) says oppsite to
pin1 is the composite and the other says opposite to pin1 is one of the 2
s-video.
But that would mean that there also are two AV/S modules, and that seems
kind of strange, don't you think?

From: Paul on
In article <439f6120$0$11079$e4fe514c(a)news.xs4all.nl>, "KJ"
<iemand(a)microsoft.com> wrote:

> "Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> schreef in bericht
> > In article <439ea080$0$11066$e4fe514c(a)news.xs4all.nl>, "KJ"
> > <iemand(a)microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I own an Asus P4R800-VM and I would like to connect it to my TV set
> >> through
> >> the TV out. There is a TV-out connector onboard (6-1 pin, TV_OUT1) and I
> >> know there is a bracket/module for this (ASUS AV/S), but I do not want to
> >> use this (space and costs). I think it can't be that difficult to create
> >> my
> >> own, I do not see so much electronic parts on the module. It is just a
> >> matter of connecting cables. But I don't know the pin layout/meaning of
> >> the
> >> connector (it is not in the manual, all others connectors are)
> >> Does anybody know the meaning of the pins? There are 5 pins, I reckon
> >> there
> >> is 1 common ground, 1 composite signal en a couple for s-video/s-vhs
> >> (luminance (Y) & chrominance (C ))
> >> Pin1 from the connector is on the board & the manual topright)
> >> I saw that all/most Asus boards with tv-out have the same connector and
> >> probable the same pin layout.
> >>
> >> Mine is:
> >>
> >> _______

> >> |* * *|
> >> -----
> >> Does anybody know this? Or owns a ASUS AV/S module and could check this?
> >> I would help me a lot. Thx.
> >
> > PDF page 38 of this new motherboard manual has a pinout:
> > http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/A8N-VMCSM/e2294_a8n-vm_csm.pdf
> >
> > Post back whatever you discover, like whether the pin labels
> > are correct or not. With the computer unplugged, it should
> > be fairly easy to use an ohmmeter, and verify the two ground
> > pins.
> >
> > Paul
>
> Yes that's right indeed. I did find the two grounds pretty easy and those
> seem to be/are the same (the two on each side of the empty one). But now i
> found two 'readings' of the rest of the pins. One (yours) says oppsite to
> pin1 is the composite and the other says opposite to pin1 is one of the 2
> s-video.
> But that would mean that there also are two AV/S modules, and that seems
> kind of strange, don't you think?

I think this is the AV/S (part number 90-C1OOBA-00XBY)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Showimage.asp?Mode=&Type=&Image=13-131-211-02.JPG%2C13-131-211-03.JPG&CurImage=13-131-211-03.JPG&Description=

The only other reference to the pinout I can find, is this
posting by Fred. The diagram in this post could be the cable end
or it could be the header - in other words, a mirror image.

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus/msg/2caac55f603a589d

I doubt they would use the exact same header pattern and change
the pinout. That wouldn't be very bright.

I don't know where else to look, to verify the pinout. And it
is likely that all three active signals will be driven by the
same kind of driver circuit. That is why I didn't offer any advice
on sorting the other three signals...

Paul
From: KJ on

> In article <439f6120$0$11079$e4fe514c(a)news.xs4all.nl>, "KJ"
> <iemand(a)microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> "Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> schreef in bericht

>> > PDF page 38 of this new motherboard manual has a pinout:
>> > http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/A8N-VMCSM/e2294_a8n-vm_csm.pdf
>> >
>> > Post back whatever you discover, like whether the pin labels
>> > are correct or not. With the computer unplugged, it should
>> > be fairly easy to use an ohmmeter, and verify the two ground
>> > pins.
>> >
>> > Paul
>>
>> Yes that's right indeed. I did find the two grounds pretty easy and those
>> seem to be/are the same (the two on each side of the empty one). But now
>> found two 'readings' of the rest of the pins. One (yours) says oppsite to
>> pin1 is the composite and the other says opposite to pin1 is one of the 2
>> s-video.
>> But that would mean that there also are two AV/S modules, and that seems
>> kind of strange, don't you think?
>
> I think this is the AV/S (part number 90-C1OOBA-00XBY)
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Showimage.asp?Mode=&Type=&Image=13-131-211-02.JPG%2C13-131-211-03.JPG&CurImage=13-131-211-03.JPG&Description=
>
> The only other reference to the pinout I can find, is this
> posting by Fred. The diagram in this post could be the cable end
> or it could be the header - in other words, a mirror image.
>
> http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus/msg/2caac55f603a589d
>
> I doubt they would use the exact same header pattern and change
> the pinout. That wouldn't be very bright.
>
> I don't know where else to look, to verify the pinout. And it
> is likely that all three active signals will be driven by the
> same kind of driver circuit. That is why I didn't offer any advice
> on sorting the other three signals...
>
> Paul

Yes, i found the same posting of this Fred guy. But i would say that it is
NOT a 'mirror' question. Because in his example the opposite to pin1 (gnd)
is alway the composite, no matter how you look at it. The only mix up he
could have made is the pin numbering i think. So pin6 = pin2

Would you have any idea if it could harm to just test it? I would first go
for pin1 & pin2, being a composite signal. Test it on a TV screen. If it is
not the composite but a s-video signal it will not hurt my tv, won't it? And
the same for mixing up S-video with composite....