From: timOleary on
On Jan 21, 11:22 pm, "Tom J" <tomne...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
> Anthony Buckland wrote:
> > "timOleary" <timothy.w.ole...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I use Windows XP pro. My PC has two WD SE16 WD2500KS SATA 250G
> >> hdds.
> >> When I start the PC in the morning I am hearing a whirring noise
> >> coming out of the PC and I think it is the C drive.
> >> Where can I read up on how to add a drive, and mirror everything on
> >> the current C drive onto the new drive?
> >> What is a smart choice in an enterprise grade HDD?
> >> I am thinking the warranty has expired on the drives.
> >> Thanks
>
> > Get imaging software, such as Acronis True Image.
> > Make a complete image of  your drive, on an
> > external (USB-connected) drive.  If you need to buy
> > an external drive to do this, look on it as a good
> > investment, you can use it to back up your machine
> > routinely for a long time afterwards.
>
> My son just sent me a 2TB IoSafe USB hard drive and Acromis True Image
> backup software. I just finished the image backup to the new external
> drive and it went like clock work. A caution - I did read the very
> long manual that came with Acromis before even starting the install.
> I'm sure that saved me the troubles many have with this software!!
>
> Tom J

I wish my kids would send me something for a change.

My drives are still working
so far I'm booting fine but experience says it is onlt a mattter of
time.
I see ACRONIS is a free download off WD site. Is this a full version,
and what are the conditions for D/Ling?

I had a trial version of ACRONIS and I didn't like it, especially how
it was showing up during POST. I bugged their tech support and did
everything they could think of and I still get the line in POST even
theough the s/w is gone.

Since I am dealing with the boot disk, what are the rules? my
impression was the boot disk should be tnamed c drive and it should be
internal as opposed to external.
I already have a WD Caviar Blue 500G usb I use occassionlly to back up
my D drive, but was using copy and paste and not ACRONIS or other
backup sw.

messing with the boot drive is something new to me, so I'm hesitating
and reaching out for suggestions.
I am getting ready to order a Caviar Black 500G from newegg.
Thanks for the feedback

From: Twayne on
In news:C298388E-3FD2-4C29-AF52-4EDC0A261F79(a)microsoft.com,
Andrew E. <eckrichco(a)msn.com> typed:
> If you had IDE hds,then xps own XCOPY would work,but dont think it
> does with SATA..With a faulty hd,download the WDC DOS hd check
> utility,install to a floppy,boot pc to floppy (maybe a cd version is
> available).Usually the simple scan version will pick up a
> flaw,otherwise use the extended one..

XCOPY can NOT back up a sytem drive with operating system installed on it,
while XP is running. Xcopy will NOT copy files "in use" which there always
are with windows.

The advice to download Western Digital's hard drive diagnostics however is
excellent. It will evaluate the drive and indicate its overall health and
whether it's healthy or not.

HTH,

Twayne

From: Twayne on
In news:e9ffce83-5d55-4256-adc9-2d68ee25fa17(a)l30g2000yqb.googlegroups.com,
timOleary <timothy.w.oleary(a)gmail.com> typed:
> On Jan 21, 11:22 pm, "Tom J" <tomne...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Anthony Buckland wrote:
>>> "timOleary" <timothy.w.ole...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Get imaging software, such as Acronis True Image.
>>> Make a complete image of your drive, on an
>>> external (USB-connected) drive. If you need to buy
>>> an external drive to do this, look on it as a good
>>> investment, you can use it to back up your machine
>>> routinely for a long time afterwards.
>>
>> My son just sent me a 2TB IoSafe USB hard drive and Acromis True
>> Image backup software. I just finished the image backup to the new
>> external drive and it went like clock work. A caution - I did read
>> the very long manual that came with Acromis before even starting the
>> install. I'm sure that saved me the troubles many have with this
>> software!!
>>
>> Tom J
>
> I wish my kids would send me something for a change.
>
> My drives are still working
> so far I'm booting fine but experience says it is onlt a mattter of
> time.
> I see ACRONIS is a free download off WD site. Is this a full version,
> and what are the conditions for D/Ling?

It's a full version, but time limited. Check the site for the time limits.
In general there are two excellent choices for imaging software: Norton
Ghost and Acronis True Image. Either should work well for you. I use Ghost
because I like the exra bells & whistles that come with it, but Acronis TI
appears to be equally good at the backup end of things with the exception I
don't think it will clone drives.

> I had a trial version of ACRONIS and I didn't like it, especially how
> it was showing up during POST. I bugged their tech support and did
> everything they could think of and I still get the line in POST even
> theough the s/w is gone.

No comment: The POST comes from an EEPROM AFAIK so how it could indicated
anything about Acronis is, well, probably a misinterpretation.

> Since I am dealing with the boot disk, what are the rules?

BACK UP! Back up your C disk as one backup, and then the D and any remaining
data disks you may have. Be sure you have the Emergency Recovery Disk or
whatever it's called in Acronis if you choose them, to boot from in case you
have to recover everything from scratch.

my
> impression was the boot disk should be tnamed c drive and it should be
> internal as opposed to external.

That's normal, yes. Many PCs will not boot from an external drive anyway.

> I already have a WD Caviar Blue 500G usb I use occassionlly to back up
> my D drive, but was using copy and paste and not ACRONIS or other
> backup sw.

Properly managed and learned, you'll no longer have to do that with imaging
software.

> messing with the boot drive is something new to me, so I'm hesitating
> and reaching out for suggestions.
> I am getting ready to order a Caviar Black 500G from newegg.
> Thanks for the feedback

New hard disks should come with software to clone the old, failing disk to
your new drive. If it's not with the drive, and I didn't receive any with my
WD drive, then look on the website for a free download to get it.
Worst case, you could use your imaging program's catastrophic recovery
boot CD to get the new drive up and going as long as you've partitioned and
formatted it first. That's where the mfr's cloning software is a big
advantage.

HTH,

Twayne

From: JD on
timOleary wrote:
> On Jan 21, 11:22 pm, "Tom J"<tomne...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Anthony Buckland wrote:
>>> "timOleary"<timothy.w.ole...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Get imaging software, such as Acronis True Image.
>>> Make a complete image of your drive, on an
>>> external (USB-connected) drive. If you need to buy
>>> an external drive to do this, look on it as a good
>>> investment, you can use it to back up your machine
>>> routinely for a long time afterwards.
>>
>> My son just sent me a 2TB IoSafe USB hard drive and Acromis True Image
>> backup software. I just finished the image backup to the new external
>> drive and it went like clock work. A caution - I did read the very
>> long manual that came with Acromis before even starting the install.
>> I'm sure that saved me the troubles many have with this software!!
>>
>> Tom J
>
> I wish my kids would send me something for a change.
>
> My drives are still working
> so far I'm booting fine but experience says it is onlt a mattter of
> time.
> I see ACRONIS is a free download off WD site. Is this a full version,
> and what are the conditions for D/Ling?
>
> I had a trial version of ACRONIS and I didn't like it, especially how
> it was showing up during POST. I bugged their tech support and did
> everything they could think of and I still get the line in POST even
> theough the s/w is gone.
>
> Since I am dealing with the boot disk, what are the rules? my
> impression was the boot disk should be tnamed c drive and it should be
> internal as opposed to external.
> I already have a WD Caviar Blue 500G usb I use occassionlly to back up
> my D drive, but was using copy and paste and not ACRONIS or other
> backup sw.
>
> messing with the boot drive is something new to me, so I'm hesitating
> and reaching out for suggestions.
> I am getting ready to order a Caviar Black 500G from newegg.
> Thanks for the feedback

I use Acronis True Image Home 2009. Since it's backup software, it's
going to have to run when windows starts.

I took at look at the WD version you mentioned and it appears to be a
full version of Acronis but it will only work if you have WD HDDs.

http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en

Why don't you D/L a copy of it, install it and see if you like the way
it looks. Since you still get the Acronis at POST, you don't have much
to lose. ;-)

Maybe you should also D/L the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows?

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=3&lang=en

--
JD..
From: timOleary on
On Jan 22, 7:45 pm, JD <J...(a)example.invalid> wrote:
> timOleary wrote:

> >> My son just sent me a 2TB IoSafe USB hard drive and Acromis True Image
> >> backup software. I just finished the image backup to the new external
> >> drive and it went like clock work. A caution - I did read the very
> >> long manual that came with Acromis before even starting the install.
> >> I'm sure that saved me the troubles many have with this software!!
>
> >> Tom J
>
> > I wish my kids would send me something for a change.
>
> > My drives are still working
> > so far I'm booting fine but experience says it is onlt a mattter of
> > time.
> > I see ACRONIS is a free download off WD site. Is this a full version,
> > and what are the conditions for D/Ling?
>
> > I had a trial version of ACRONIS and I didn't like it, especially how
> > it was showing up during POST. I bugged their tech support and did
> > everything they could think of and I still get the line in POST even
> > theough the s/w is gone.
>
> > Since I am dealing with the boot disk, what are the rules? my
> > impression was the boot disk should be tnamed c drive and it should be
> > internal as opposed to external.
> > I already have a WD Caviar Blue 500G usb I use occassionlly to back up
> > my D drive, but was using copy and paste and not ACRONIS or other
> > backup sw.
>
> > messing with the boot drive is something new to me, so I'm hesitating
> > and reaching out for suggestions.
> > I am getting ready to order a Caviar Black 500G from newegg.
> > Thanks for the feedback
>
> I use Acronis True Image Home 2009. Since it's backup software, it's
> going to have to run when windows starts.
>
> I took at look at the WD version you mentioned and it appears to be a
> full version of Acronis but it will only work if you have WD HDDs.
>
> http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en
>
> Why don't you D/L a copy of it, install it and see if you like the way
> it looks. Since you still get the Acronis at POST, you don't have much
> to lose.  ;-)
>
> Maybe you should also D/L the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows?
>
> http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=3〈=en
>
> --
>   JD..

Thanks JD.
That link explained it completely. I forget right now the exact line
of text that flys by when I boot up revealing that Acronis is still in
there.
The AcronisWD is pretty new it seems. And there doesn't seem to be any
time constraint: it'll work indefinitely. seems like a pretty good
deal.
Maybe if the sw detects a non WD drive it don't work seems fair
enough.
one plan is to get the Caviar Black 500G; partition it in
two.Download the AcronisWD clone my C drive over to the new drive, and
then see what's next.
I'll d/l the manual and study it for a while
Thanks again to all repliers
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Looking for advice on PC Cloning?