From: JD on
timOleary wrote:
> On Jan 22, 7:45 pm, JD<J...(a)example.invalid> wrote:
>> timOleary wrote:

>>> I wish my kids would send me something for a change.
>>
>>> My drives are still working
>>> so far I'm booting fine but experience says it is onlt a mattter of
>>> time.
>>> I see ACRONIS is a free download off WD site. Is this a full version,
>>> and what are the conditions for D/Ling?
>>
>>> I had a trial version of ACRONIS and I didn't like it, especially how
>>> it was showing up during POST. I bugged their tech support and did
>>> everything they could think of and I still get the line in POST even
>>> theough the s/w is gone.
>>
>>> Since I am dealing with the boot disk, what are the rules? my
>>> impression was the boot disk should be tnamed c drive and it should be
>>> internal as opposed to external.
>>> I already have a WD Caviar Blue 500G usb I use occassionlly to back up
>>> my D drive, but was using copy and paste and not ACRONIS or other
>>> backup sw.
>>
>>> messing with the boot drive is something new to me, so I'm hesitating
>>> and reaching out for suggestions.
>>> I am getting ready to order a Caviar Black 500G from newegg.
>>> Thanks for the feedback
>>
>> I use Acronis True Image Home 2009. Since it's backup software, it's
>> going to have to run when windows starts.
>>
>> I took at look at the WD version you mentioned and it appears to be a
>> full version of Acronis but it will only work if you have WD HDDs.
>>
>> http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en
>>
>> Why don't you D/L a copy of it, install it and see if you like the way
>> it looks. Since you still get the Acronis at POST, you don't have much
>> to lose. ;-)
>>
>> Maybe you should also D/L the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows?
>>
>> http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=3〈=en
>>
>> --
>> JD..
>
> Thanks JD.
> That link explained it completely. I forget right now the exact line
> of text that flys by when I boot up revealing that Acronis is still in
> there.
> The AcronisWD is pretty new it seems. And there doesn't seem to be any
> time constraint: it'll work indefinitely. seems like a pretty good
> deal.
> Maybe if the sw detects a non WD drive it don't work seems fair
> enough.
> one plan is to get the Caviar Black 500G; partition it in
> two.Download the AcronisWD clone my C drive over to the new drive, and
> then see what's next.
> I'll d/l the manual and study it for a while
> Thanks again to all repliers

I've never seen the AcronisWD software until you mentioned it, so yeah,
I think it is pretty new.

I think the restriction is it won't work on non-WD drives but aren't all
your drives WD?

Since you're hearing noises I'd do all this as quickly as possible but
so quickly to over-look the instructions. 8-)

I've only used the Acronis clone function one time but there are options
as to what to do with the remaining space on the drive you're cloning
to. It seems like when I used it, it over-writes any partitions on the
drive. Hopefully the manual will explain it better than I can.

While you're studying the manual, why not go ahead and order the HDD you
want? I've had good luck ordering from both TigerDirect and NewEgg. In a
pinch or a hurry, I've been know to pay a little more and go to
notsoBestBuy. They're more expensive but returns are easier.

--
JD..
From: JD on
A small correction: I'd do it NOT so quickly as to over-look the
instructions.

--
JD..
From: timOleary on
On Jan 22, 11:00 pm, JD <J...(a)example.invalid> wrote:
> A small correction: I'd do it NOT so quickly as to over-look the
> instructions.
>
> --
>   JD..

It's sort of a bearing chatter. It reminds me of a sintered bearing
which has gone dry. the message that comes up when i boot is
"starting acronis loader, press F11 to run acronis recovery manager"
I'll contact Acronis to determine if this will cause an issue if I try
to install AcronisWD

I have too many hdds and not enough organization!
I got the two WD 250G SATA in the PC, another of the same model WD
250G SATA in a usb box tied to a usb router to share with my wife;
then i got a WD 500G SATA in another USB box, which I was using to
back up the D drive. for a while.

The AcronisWd manual says the SW will work with any WD drive, so I'm
OK.
I like Newegg over all the others, but TigerD runs a close second;
we needed a few PCs for my wife and daughter and Newegg doesn't really
do much with refurbished or recertified computers, but Tiger Direct
does.
Newegg has a pretty good sale on a Caviar Black 500G, so even if my
inventory of drives doesn't indicate that it is essential I buy yet
another, I think I will anyway.
I got to read the manual
thnks
From: JD on
timOleary wrote:
> On Jan 22, 11:00 pm, JD<J...(a)example.invalid> wrote:
>> A small correction: I'd do it NOT so quickly as to over-look the
>> instructions.
>>
>> --
>> JD..
>
> It's sort of a bearing chatter. It reminds me of a sintered bearing
> which has gone dry. the message that comes up when i boot is
> "starting acronis loader, press F11 to run acronis recovery manager"
> I'll contact Acronis to determine if this will cause an issue if I try
> to install AcronisWD
>
> I have too many hdds and not enough organization!
> I got the two WD 250G SATA in the PC, another of the same model WD
> 250G SATA in a usb box tied to a usb router to share with my wife;
> then i got a WD 500G SATA in another USB box, which I was using to
> back up the D drive. for a while.
>
> The AcronisWd manual says the SW will work with any WD drive, so I'm
> OK.
> I like Newegg over all the others, but TigerD runs a close second;
> we needed a few PCs for my wife and daughter and Newegg doesn't really
> do much with refurbished or recertified computers, but Tiger Direct
> does.
> Newegg has a pretty good sale on a Caviar Black 500G, so even if my
> inventory of drives doesn't indicate that it is essential I buy yet
> another, I think I will anyway.
> I got to read the manual
> thnks

You said you removed Acronis some time back, correct?

Have you ever hit F11 to see what happens? I'm not saying hit F11.

You could also go to, Start, Run, msconfig, Startup tab and see if
Acronis recovery manager is listed. It should show you where the file is
located. Some programs don't uninstall themselves very cleanly.

--
JD..
From: Anthony Buckland on
Pressing F11 on startup is the way you access Acronis
True Image without starting your OS, Win XP in this
discussion. You can do various things, but the usual
aim is to start a partition, such as C:, restoration. If
the disk is new or the data on it has been sufficiently
corrupted, you use an emergency CD instead. Or you
wish to high heaven you had created an emergency CD
when you could.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Looking for advice on PC Cloning?