Prev: Effects rack
Next: k-array
From: Richard Webb on
Denny Strauser writes:

> I've read through this thread, and although I'm OLD-school, with an
> emphasis on OLD, I, personally, would choose a digital board for a
> number of reasons. Someone mentioned that the learning curve is
> steep, but if you have someone to tutor you for a few shows, it is
> a fairly quick lesson to learn. Not only that, but after you get a
> handle on mixing digitally, most other digital consoles are fairly
> easy to grasp.

A reasoned approach, and the op should take into
consideration just those factors.

> I haven't mixed on the Presonus, but I've mixed a number of Yamaha &
> Digidesign boards. As long as I have someone who knows the board to
> assist me, working on a different digital board is about the same as
> working on a different analog board, once you know the basics.

MIght be, but for added reasons, if I"m familiar with one
digital board, and have the accessibility for hte blind part down that's the one I want if I'm the visiting engineer, or
else analog.
IF the client hiring our remote truck has his/her own
engineer that they want working in the truck and they really have to have a digital I can rent the Yamahas easily enough, and was thinking for our addition when we're ready to jump
that's the one I'd buy, but I'm glad I haven't made a firm
decision on that yet, because when talking to many blind
folks who've made the jump to the mac they are really
crowing about screen access right out of the box, plug it
in, turn it on and with a couple of keystrokes get the
screen reader up and going.

NOw if Digidesign is paying attention to that and it works
well with pt etc. then I"m sure it would work well
interfacing with the DIgidesign boards, and I expect that
like pt they're going to be an industry standard for years
to come.
I know
Yamaha's studio manager does work with Jaws, and in a studio environment would have no problem wrestling with it. But,
Jaws is close to a kilobuck on top of the computer hardware
and other software one needs, and one is always chasing
one's tail to keep the upgrade path going so that one's
latest and greatest apps are accessible. That's why I opted out a decade ago.

Regards,
Richard
.... Remote audio in the southland: See www.gatasound.com
From: Tim Perry on

"mkm" <mkmsound(a)rcn.com> wrote in message
> On 6/6/2010 3:13 PM, Sean Conolly wrote:
>> "Sean Conolly"<sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote in message
>
>>> As a matter of fact, no I have never needed to do anything with an
>>> expansion slot. Most of my experience is live sound in commercial venues
>>> where you're lucky to have two hours to load in and setup, and there
>>> haven't been many times where 16 channels and two monitor mixes were
>>> enough to do the job.
>>
>> Eh, that was supposed to be 'weren't enough'.
>
> Last weeks gig we had to wait until after the dinner hour for staff to
> move tables, load in thru the front door with customers outside smoking
> and in the hallway waiting for tables. It was a sports bar and we were
> told not to start until one second after the Flyers game ended.
>
> 16 channels is enough and we are still aiming for a 2nd monitor mix only
> so the guitarists on opposite sides can hear each other.
>
> Steve McQ said:
>> I would suggest you simply stick
>> with your Mixwiz. Adding gates, comps, etc will only bog you down
>> and make what should be quite simple too complex for your
>> needs.
>> .
>>> >
>> If you are dead set on upgrading to a digital board and want to pay
>> a true experienced live sound professional to get you rolling with the
>> thing, I might be able to hook you up with my brother, who is working
>> in Lancaster full time. He works at the American Music Theater as
>> chief sound tech. If you have seen any shows there this Spring then
>> you have heard his work. He began working there in mid April.
>>
>> --
>> Steve McQ
>
> I thought that this board would make set up easier by allowing me to
> return all settings to a selected scene. Faders are not motorized but
> there is a procedure for easily setting them to the stored position.
>
> Also there are presets that can be seleted for each channel with
> comp,gate, lim,eq settings designed for specific instruments.(see page 137
> of the online manual)
>
> Thanks for the possible offer of your brother. I will keep you in mind.
>

> Right now, it looks like everyone has saved me some money and the pain of
> selling the MixWiz. It looks like only one digital vote but for a more
> expensive board.( I still prefer new, dont want possibly someone elses
> problem and I tend to keep my gear a long time.)
>
> Is there anyone on the Presonus side who has not posted yet??
>
> Thanks to everyone.
>
> Mike

Mike, with only one show with the Personus I can't claim extensive
experience but this is what I found:

The board is easy to figure out without even a manual.

The drum, vocal, and instrument presets work just fine.

16 ch was enough for a classic rock cover band.

Setup and loadout was significantly easier and faster then my usual rig.

The flexibility and feature set is pretty amazing.

Having to keep punching button to access various feature sets seemed a bit
tedious.

As I already have lots of outboard, I choked at the 2K $ price tag.

Most of my shows use 18 to 20 mic + fx returns + stereo CD/tuner/music
player + talk back.

From: mkm on
On 6/9/2010 10:13 PM, Tim Perry wrote:

> Mike, with only one show with the Personus I can't claim extensive
> experience but this is what I found:
>
> The board is easy to figure out without even a manual.
>
> The drum, vocal, and instrument presets work just fine.
>
> 16 ch was enough for a classic rock cover band.
>
> Setup and loadout was significantly easier and faster then my usual rig.
>
> The flexibility and feature set is pretty amazing.
>
> Having to keep punching button to access various feature sets seemed a bit
> tedious.
>
> As I already have lots of outboard, I choked at the 2K $ price tag.
>
> Most of my shows use 18 to 20 mic + fx returns + stereo CD/tuner/music
> player + talk back.

Thanks Tim,
All of my outboard is old (80s-90s?) Peavey gatekeeper 5 channels of
gates and an Alesis 3630 2 channel compressor, Alesis Quadraverb,
probably not highly thought of gear. I do have a Yamaha SPX990.

16 channels of processing with presets is what made the Presonus
inviting. Firewire recording would be a bonus. I still have my
Soundcraft Spirit 4 live (old one 16.4.2 recently serviced) but it is a
little big for mixing from the stage in smaller venues which is why I
bought the MixWiz.

Thanks again
Mike

Pages: 1