From: andy on
hi hope someone can help as i am new to this approach of resourcing,

If I have 3 tasks and 3 resources each one is a expert in 1 task but have
the ability to assist in the other how do I assign the experts and allow the
others to assist in the task.
i.e
task 1 = resource A + b&c to assist
task 2 = resource B + a&c to assist
task 3 = resource C + a&b to assist

thanks

andy

From: Rob Schneider on
Andy,

Frankly, it's simple. You decide. Project does not assign for you. You
tell Project which expert and which assistant you want to work on the
task. Project will let you know if your assignments has resulted in
over-committments; but it will not change the assignments.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

From: andy on
Thanks rob, maybe im not asking the question in the right way, if there are
several projects running how do i schedule the key individual so they work on
there key field first and any remaining time left acts as a support role in
the remaining projects - do i need to play with the task information - like
increase/reduce the priority No of the task ( whatever that does ? - why does
it start at 500) or change the units from 100% to something else.

sorry but this type of scheduling is easy for me to understand but i have no
idea how it works in project

From: Rob Schneider on
Andy,

You need to change how you are thinking of this. You are making it too
complicated. You are assuming Project does the planning and scheduling.
Project does not "schedule" for you. Think of Project as a big bespoke
calculator to do the project computations for you.

You develop the schedule and you assign the resources. You estimate and
plan on how much time it takes to work on the task and how much to plan
on being available to be in the support role. The decision about when
to change role is not left to Project; it is left to the people and/or
the project manager based on how well they get on with completing the work.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

From: andy on
thanks Rob, - im not sure i understand how i can use project to schedule
then? I have read a lot of threads on prioitisng but didnt understand the
answers - I understand that everyone can work 100% on every task at that
time but how can i prioritise a plan so that when the resouce has spare time
they can assit another to complete a task

this is the last one promise!!