From: guloga on
Hi All,

I am experiencing some strange problems with my Terminal Server. Everything
was running ok, but this morning, when users went to logon, they get a
dialog box saying "To logon on to this remote computer, you must have
Terminal Server User Access permissions on this computer. By default,
members of the Remote Desktop Users group have these permissions. If you are
not a member of the Remote Desktop User groupor another group that has these
permissions, or if the Remote Desktop User group does not have these
permissions, you must be granted these permissions manually".

I am using a Windows Server 2003 for TS, and a Windows 2000 Server as the DC
in the Active Directory. I have checked the Permissions for Remote Desktop
User group and everything seems to be right. Please, can any body help me?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Guloga

From: Vera Noest [MVP] on
The 2003 terminal Server is a member server in the domain, I assume?
And your users are members of the local Remote Desktop Users group on
the Terminal Server?

Have you checked the EventLog on the Terminal Server?
How long has this been working OK?
And just to cover all the possibilities, does the 2003 TS also run
the TS Licensing Service? Did you install Per User or Per Device TS
CALs on it? And is it issueing TS CALs?

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

From: guloga on
Hi Vera,

responding to your questions, i can tell you that the 2003 TS es a memeber
server of the domain, and the users are members of the local Remote Desktop
Users gruop.

I see no errors on EventLog about TermServ, just some old ones about
printers and some other applications. It has been working ok since January.
The licensing server is at the DC server, the licences are intall Per
Device.

It seems like I don't know why, all the user (even the admin user) has lost
the permissions.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Guloga...

From: Alex on
Have you checked the 'Allow logon through Terminal Services '
in 'Local Security Policy' / Local Policies / User Right Assignment.
The 'Remote Desktop Users' group should have this right assigned

From: Vera Noest [MVP] on
If your DC runs W2K, and the TS Licensing Server runs on the DC,
then that's your problem (which is consistent with that it worked
since January).
Your 2003 TS cannot connect to a W2K Licensing Server, because a
W2K LS cannot handle 2003 licenses.
So since January the 2003 TS has been working in the "grace
period" (since it was unable to find a TS Licensing Server), and
now that the 120-days grace period has ended, you cannot connect.
Only thing that's weird is that this should be recorded in the
EventLog on the Terminal Server.

You will need to install and activate the TS Licensing Service on
the 2003 server, and install 2003 TS CALs on it.

Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pricl
icfaq.mspx

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"guloga" <guloga(a)terra.es> wrote on 16 maj 2005 in
microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services: