From: scotty1990 on
i had the xp defender virus and installed malwarebytes to remove it after
running the scan and restarting my compter any program that i try to open it
just gives me a box the says "open program with" and doesn't actualy work and
i have to manualy open my programs any help would be great
From: Jose on
On Mar 22, 3:51 pm, scotty1990 <scotty1...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> i had the xp defender virus and installed malwarebytes to remove it after
> running the scan and restarting my compter any program that i try to open it
> just gives me a box the says "open program with" and doesn't actualy work and
> i have to manualy open my programs any help would be great

Go to this WWW site by Doug Knox:

http://www.dougknox.com/

On the left, click the Win XP Fixes, File Association Fixes and read
the directions at
the top of the page.

Download the EXE File Association Fix and apply it, then reboot.
From: nass on

"scotty1990" wrote:

> i had the xp defender virus and installed malwarebytes to remove it after
> running the scan and restarting my compter any program that i try to open it
> just gives me a box the says "open program with" and doesn't actualy work and
> i have to manualy open my programs any help would be great

Hi Scott,
This mean the shortcut for these Programs are corrupt or the pointer to the
root where the executional process is been replaced by the malicious virus,
hence you lost the pointer or linker to these progs!
Use the file association to repair:

Or try to delete the corrupt shortcuts and create a new ones from the list
of all programs on Start Menu.
HTH
nass
---
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

..
From: Jose on
wrote:
> i had the xp defender virus and installed malwarebytes to remove it after
> running the scan and restarting my compter any program that i try to open it
> just gives me a box the says "open program with" and doesn't actualy work and
> i have to manualy open my programs any help would be great

....a common issue with an easy solution after removing that affliction!
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "scotty1990" <scotty1990(a)discussions.microsoft.com>

| i had the xp defender virus and installed malwarebytes to remove it after
| running the scan and restarting my compter any program that i try to open it
| just gives me a box the says "open program with" and doesn't actualy work and
| i have to manualy open my programs any help would be great

You had malware but "XP Defender" is not a virus.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses.

"XP Defender" is called a rogue malware and is a conjob to get money out of you.

If you are getting "...a box the says "open program with..." it may NOT be fully removed
as there may be remnants or the TDL3 RootKit.

Download HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/_download/HJTInstall.exe

If it won't install or run than you can try to rename this with a .COM extension.
If possible post the contents of the HJT log in your post with a full explanation of your
problem and what you have done to date in one of the below expert forums. If you can't
create a HJT log, mention that in your post.

{ Please - Do NOT post the HJT Log here ! }

Forums where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) Logs.

NOTE: Registration is REQUIRED in any of the below before posting a log

Suggested primary:

Suggested secondary:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Suggested tertiary: