From: David H. Lipman on
From: "JClark" <jclark(a)nomail.invalid>

JClark:

Tell your son to do the following...

Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/_download/HJTInstall.exe

Then post the contents of the HJT log in the post with a full explanation of the problem
and/or suspicions and what has been done to date in one of the below expert forums...

{ Please - Do NOT post the HJT Log here ! }

Forums where he can get expert advice, assistance and one-on-one direction.

NOTE: Registration is REQUIRED in any of the below before posting a log

Suggested primary:

Suggested secondary:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Suggested tertiary:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malware_Removal_HiJackThis_Logs_Go_Here-f37.html
http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showforum=170
http://forum.networktechs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=130
http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showforum=17
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showforum=18
http://forums.techguy.org/f54-s.html
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/index.php?showforum=18
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://makephpbb.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=2
http://forums.techguy.org/54-security/
http://forums.security-central.us/forumdisplay.php?f=13

--
Dave

From: 1PW on
JClark wrote:
> [...]
> OF MONITOR, IE: RED WITH ALL THE OPTIONS ..THEN OPEN UP A FEW MEDIA
> PLAYERS (U MAY WANT TO CHECK FOR PYTHONS .. I BELIEVE THEY ARE
> **PY.LNK IN THE DORMANT STATE). THEN CLICK ON THE PROPERTY'S OBJECT
> SEVERAL TIMES, CUT/SELECT ALL EVEN IF YOU SEE NOTHING. PLEASE SEE
> BELOW:
> !@! I JUST GOT A "PICKLE" IN THIS DOCUMENT ... IS WAS A VERY
> LIGHT ABBERATION INBETWEEN A WORD I COULD NOT CUT AND PASTE THE IT.
> ... I CHECKED THE FILE SIZE FROM THE BACK UP AND THE FILE WAS ABOUT
> 1500 KB BIGGER... GUESS I SAW IT BECAUSE I HAVE THE DISPLAY SO MESSED
> UP... I AM TENATIOUSLY BACKING UP. COINICEDENTALLY MY EVIDENCE GETS
> CHANGED OR DISAPEARS. THUS, I WAS WORRIED ABOUT MY MENTALL HEALTH!
>
> MIRROR SITE FROM "IN NETWORK CONNECTIONS"
>
> 1)ADDRESS/URL:
> MS-ITS:C:\WINDOWS\Help\netcfg.chm::/EXEC=,control.exe, netconnections
> CHM=ntshared.chm FILE=alt_url_windows_component.htm
>
> 2)GENERAL:
> EXEC=,control.exe, netconnections CHM=ntshared.chm
> FILE=alt_url_windows_component.htm
>
> THIS IS FROM MY "BROWSER ADDRESS BOX"
> 1)REDIRECT (UNVERIFIED, JUST LOOK) TO A FAKE MS SITE:
> http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&clcid=0x0409&pver=6.0&ar=home
>
> FINALLY, I HOPE TO GET ON-LINE AND ASK OPEN OFFICE ABOUT THEIR
> SOFTWARE PLATFORM. IN THE INTERIM, AND IF YOU HAVE THE INTEREST, MY
> "PYTHON FOLDER" HAS A ENTIRE TEST SITE. IT IS ONE \ FOLDER UNDER THE
> PYYTHON FOLDER. THE PROGRAMS ARE "INFANTS' AND HAVE CODE
> EXPLANATIONS. OBVIOUSLY, THE INF, COM, HML, ARE EASIER TO READ; BUT
> THE DLL HAVE SOME MEAT. READ THE BOTTOM OF THE DLL FIRST. I AM
> PRETTY SURE YOU HAVE THE VIRUS. SORRY, I KNOW YOU WERE TRYING TO HELP
> AND THE TENACITY OF THE BUG IS AMAZING...
>
> GIVE ME A CALL THIS WEEK AND TELL ME IF I NEED A STRAIGHT JACKET.
>
> -- JC
>
> PS: I COULD GO ON FOR HOURS... IT LIKES TO PICLKLE IMAGES, RECORDINGS,
> ETC. I THINK IT IS EASIER. I HAS A PREFERENCES PROGRAM TO TRACK
> YOU...IT DOES HAVE CODE THAT IMPRESONATES REGISTRATION OF SOFTWARE,
> LOG ONS, ETC. I T ALSO HIDES BY CALLING A RESPECABLE PROGRAM WHICH IN
> TURN CALLS A PYTHON SYSTEM PROGRAM (USUALLY HAS A *32* OR *NT32*). IT
> USES THE WMI NAMESPACE, REMOTE ACCESS - EARLY ON IT MAKES WINXP (OR
> YOUR OS) THINK YOU ARE ASKING FOR HELP FROM THE ABOVE SITE. IT
> REQUESTS FROM YOUR COMPUTER REMOTE ASSISTANCE. ONCE THAT IS DONE IT IS
> OVER. IT DOWNLOADS A SERIES OF PROGRAMS, MAINLY DLLS RAN AS APPS .. I
> CAN PRETTY MUCH LIST THE PROGRESSION FOR YOU ..MSVCRT (MAKE PROXY
> MIRROR CONNECTION) REGVR32 (REGEDIT OR SERVER I FORGET)
> ADVAPI32...RPCRT4 (?).. USER32 ...GDI32.. OLE32, HIMENG, ACGINARL,
> WINMA (?) .. OLEAVT32... SACM32......AND SO ON. EVENTUALLY YOUR
> ENTIRE OS IS NT32 WITH A WINXP/98/ETC SHELL AND
>
> ...............YOU ARE NO LONGER IN KANSAS DORTHY..........
>
> I have no idea what all of this means, if anything. Again, I
> appreciate any advice the group can give me.

Hello Jack:

The AV protection you installed is excellent. What other antimalware
protection have you installed?

--
1PW
From: JClark on
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 15:55:55 -0700, 1PW <1PW(a)INVALID.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> YOUR OS) THINK YOU ARE ASKING FOR HELP FROM THE ABOVE SITE. IT
>> REQUESTS FROM YOUR COMPUTER REMOTE ASSISTANCE. ONCE THAT IS DONE IT IS
>> OVER. IT DOWNLOADS A SERIES OF PROGRAMS, MAINLY DLLS RAN AS APPS .. I
>> CAN PRETTY MUCH LIST THE PROGRESSION FOR YOU ..MSVCRT (MAKE PROXY
>> MIRROR CONNECTION) REGVR32 (REGEDIT OR SERVER I FORGET)
>> ADVAPI32...RPCRT4 (?).. USER32 ...GDI32.. OLE32, HIMENG, ACGINARL,
>> WINMA (?) .. OLEAVT32... SACM32......AND SO ON. EVENTUALLY YOUR
>> ENTIRE OS IS NT32 WITH A WINXP/98/ETC SHELL AND
>>
>> ...............YOU ARE NO LONGER IN KANSAS DORTHY..........
>>
>> I have no idea what all of this means, if anything. Again, I
>> appreciate any advice the group can give me.
>>
>> Jack
>
>Hello Jack:
>
>The AV protection you installed is excellent. What other antimalware
I installed "Online Armor" for firewall. And I think I put
Superantispyware on as well, but I've messed with several systems
lately, and I'm not sure about the last SAS. I put malwarebytes on
some of them. (I'm not a pro ... just a lot of family and friends
asking for my help lately.)

Thanks.

Jack
From: JClark on
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:07:03 -0400, "FromTheRafters"
<erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>"JClark" <jclark(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in message
>
>I would be more concerned about your son in this case. It seems he
>suspects mental issues, as do I. His confidence in his computer's
>security will *never* be restored until he can think clearly. His fears
>will not be refuted by logic unless he begins thinking logically.
>
>I'm sorry, this is not meant to be mean spirited.

Rafters,

I completely understand, and you have expressed my own concerns as
well. I am very grateful for your thoughts.

Jack
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:40:38 -0400, JClark <jclark(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

> I have no idea what all of this means, if anything. Again, I
> appreciate any advice the group can give me.

The openoffice application is written mostly in the python
language. There should be almost a thousand .py files in
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\Basis\program\python-core-2.3.4\lib
and it's subdirectories.

If he can handle the learning curve, you may want to suggest
he investigate installing a version of linux. My preference
is Mandriva Linux Free 2009 Spring from
http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free
although ubuntu from
http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download
seems to be more popular right now.

He'd find lots of python programs there :-), as well as other
scripts etc, but at least he wouldn't have to worry about
getting a virus.

Sounds like it's going to be difficult to convince him that
nothing he's found so far indicates any malware infection.

Best of luck!

Regards, Dave Hodgins

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4