From: JClark on
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 22:37:11 -0400, "David W. Hodgins"
<dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:40:38 -0400, JClark <jclark(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I have no idea what all of this means, if anything. Again, I
>> appreciate any advice the group can give me.
>
>The openoffice application is written mostly in the python
>language. There should be almost a thousand .py files in
>C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\Basis\program\python-core-2.3.4\lib
>and it's subdirectories.
>
>If he can handle the learning curve, you may want to suggest
>he investigate installing a version of linux. My preference
>is Mandriva Linux Free 2009 Spring from
>http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free
>although ubuntu from
>http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download
>seems to be more popular right now.
>
>He'd find lots of python programs there :-), as well as other
>scripts etc, but at least he wouldn't have to worry about
>getting a virus.
>
>Sounds like it's going to be difficult to convince him that
>nothing he's found so far indicates any malware infection.
>
>Best of luck!
>
>Regards, Dave Hodgins
It seems clear now that the "viruses" are imaginary. I greatly
appreciate your input and that of the others in the group.

Jack
From: FromTheRafters on

"JClark" <jclark(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 22:37:11 -0400, "David W. Hodgins"
> <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:40:38 -0400, JClark <jclark(a)nomail.invalid>
>>wrote:
>>
>>> I have no idea what all of this means, if anything. Again, I
>>> appreciate any advice the group can give me.
>>
>>The openoffice application is written mostly in the python
>>language. There should be almost a thousand .py files in
>>C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\Basis\program\python-core-2.3.4\lib
>>and it's subdirectories.
>>
>>If he can handle the learning curve, you may want to suggest
>>he investigate installing a version of linux. My preference
>>is Mandriva Linux Free 2009 Spring from
>>http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free
>>although ubuntu from
>>http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download
>>seems to be more popular right now.
>>
>>He'd find lots of python programs there :-), as well as other
>>scripts etc, but at least he wouldn't have to worry about
>>getting a virus.
>>
>>Sounds like it's going to be difficult to convince him that
>>nothing he's found so far indicates any malware infection.
>>
>>Best of luck!
>>
>>Regards, Dave Hodgins
> It seems clear now that the "viruses" are imaginary. I greatly
> appreciate your input and that of the others in the group.

If converting to Linux - be advised that "masquerading" is also normal
computerese terminolgy. :o)

There are *always* things that look suspicious to the suspicious
mind...as they say - to a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

From: JClark on
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 08:58:45 -0400, "FromTheRafters"
<erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>"JClark" <jclark(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 22:37:11 -0400, "David W. Hodgins"
>> <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>>>The openoffice application is written mostly in the python
>>>language. There should be almost a thousand .py files in
>>>C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\Basis\program\python-core-2.3.4\lib
>>>and it's subdirectories.
>>>
>>>If he can handle the learning curve, you may want to suggest
>>>he investigate installing a version of linux. My preference
>>>is Mandriva Linux Free 2009 Spring from
>>>http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free
>>>although ubuntu from
>>>http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download
>>>seems to be more popular right now.
>>>
>>>He'd find lots of python programs there :-), as well as other
>>>scripts etc, but at least he wouldn't have to worry about
>>>getting a virus.
>>>
>>>Sounds like it's going to be difficult to convince him that
>>>nothing he's found so far indicates any malware infection.
>>>
>>>Best of luck!
>>>
>>>Regards, Dave Hodgins
>> It seems clear now that the "viruses" are imaginary. I greatly
>> appreciate your input and that of the others in the group.
>
>If converting to Linux - be advised that "masquerading" is also normal
>computerese terminolgy. :o)
>
>There are *always* things that look suspicious to the suspicious
>mind...as they say - to a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Again, thank you.

Jack
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4