From: Kenneth Tilton on
Adam Harvey wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 16:27:49 -0700, RobG wrote:
>> On Jun 8, 6:26 am, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The qooxlisp apropos example can now actually be run here (ignore the
>>> site name):
>>>
>>> http://www.teamalgebra.com/
>> With javascript disabled, it shows a blank page.
>>
>> Enabling javascript, the page took nearly 4 minutes to load. Downloading
>> 335 files totalling 3MB is going to take a very long time on any system.

Normally, eleven seconds. Sometimes in some browsers the server (I think
the server is doing this) decides to give up only 2-4 files/second. Yes,
that slows things down a bit.

The good news is that I almost have the "release build" version working,
and that is ~900kb in one file. Should help.

> For an additional data point (and example of exactly why having 350+
> dependencies for a single page is a problem): it took 3 minutes, 12
> seconds here. I have a rather fast Internet connection, but since I'm
> geographically a long way from the server, each request has a latency in
> the 275 millisecond range before anything useful is transferred. That
> adds up rather quickly with that many requests.
>
>> Once viewed, the page is dysfunctional in both Firefox 3.6 and IE 6. I
>> can't get it to do anything, are there instructions?
>
> It seems to work for me in Firefox 3.6, although I don't have a clue what
> it's actually supposed to do.

Search the lisp server for any source code name containing the supplied
search string. Try "qx" or "qxl" to see names used in presenting the
interface you are using.

I'll sneak in a label to that effect now that I am spamming outside the
lisp community.

kt

--
http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
"The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."
From: Kenneth Tilton on
RobG wrote:

> [...]
> [...]
>>> Quotes without meaningful attribution make me suspicious.
>> You never heard of Macworld?
>
> Yes, but the attribution is incomplete (and the reader is left
> wondering why).
>

>>> According to the "stuckonalgebra" site, there is no Mac version,
>> The Mac does not have Web browsers? You have a scoop.
>
> Whether or not there are browsers for Mac OS is irrelevant. I can't
> find a link to a web version on that site, all links eventually lead
> to a download page that states:
>
> | Pick your operating system:
> | 1. Windows XP
> | 2. Windows Vista or Windows 7
> | 3. Mac OS X (coming soon!)
>
> The site does not offer a browser version and *states* that there is
> no Mac version. Whether there are browsers for Mac OS is irrelevant at
> this point.
>

>>> which
>>> left me wondering what was reviwed and when, given that Macworld is a
>>> Mac-specific magazine. A search revealed that the quote is from a
>>> superficial review[1] of "Algebra I Homework Tutor from Missing Link
>>> Software" in April 1991.
>> If "in a class by itself" is superficial, I'll take it.
>
> The *review* is superficial and nearly 20 years old, before the WWW
> was invented. Even if there is a web-based version available now, the
> review is of an entirely different product from an eon ago and
> therefore irrelevant.
>
> It's like IBM claiming technical competence based on a 1930s review of
> their electric accounting machine[1].
>
> 1. <URL: http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/vintage/vintage_4506VV9012.html

Dude, I am sharing a new Javascript framework, not promoting the Algebra
software. Someone decided to go OT and root around in my sig for further
opportunities to be a Usenet jerk.

Meanwhile, fifteen years after the fact two educators separately and
independently dug me up and asked if there is any way they could get the
old version running since even now there is nothing like it and since it
really helped their students significantly.

Why are you guys so negative?

Just to help the autistics out there, that is a rhetorical question.

kt

From: Kenneth Tilton on
David Mark wrote:
> Those bloated widgets and OO syntactic sugar are bad for you. Like
> junk food, they'll give you a quick rush. Then you come back down to
> earth and realize you haven't budged from ground zero.

You sound like me talking about 4GLs. ie, I know the issue and fully
considered it. The balance is in favor of having a great library that
takes a bit longer to load. We can continue this after I install the
"build" version which has the thing down to anywhere between 850-1059kb
in one file, depending on the optimizations I turn on.

btw, the Amazon AWS UI uses YUI. I guess they do not know anything about
web programming either.

kt

From: David Mark on
On Jun 8, 10:34 am, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> RobG wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > [...]
> >> You never heard of Macworld?
>
> > Yes, but the attribution is incomplete (and the reader is left
> > wondering why).

> >> The Mac does not have Web browsers? You have a scoop.
>
> > Whether or not there are browsers for Mac OS is irrelevant. I can't
> > find a link to a web version on that site, all links eventually lead
> > to a download page that states:
>
> > |  Pick your operating system:
> > |     1. Windows XP
> > |     2. Windows Vista or Windows 7
> > |     3. Mac OS X (coming soon!)
>
> > The site does not offer a browser version and *states* that there is
> > no Mac version. Whether there are browsers for Mac OS is irrelevant at
> > this point.

> >> If "in a class by itself" is superficial, I'll take it.
>
> > The *review* is superficial and nearly 20 years old, before the WWW
> > was invented. Even if there is a web-based version available now, the
> > review is of an entirely different product from an eon ago and
> > therefore irrelevant.
>
> > It's like IBM claiming technical competence based on a 1930s review of
> > their electric accounting machine[1].
>
> > 1. <URL:http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/vintage/vintage_4506VV9012...
>
> Dude, I am sharing a new Javascript framework, not promoting the Algebra
> software.

And, as noted, it appears to be a colossal failure. And, of course,
you were warned about your choice of tools (and attitude) long before,
so have nobody to blame but yourself. It's odd that you consider some
"silent majority" that ostensibly agreed (and was proven wrong along)
with you to be your friends and everyone else out to get you.

> Someone decided to go OT and root around in my sig for further
> opportunities to be a Usenet jerk.

Rooted around? The URI is the first line of three (and the two that
follow refer back to it).

> Meanwhile, fifteen years after the fact two educators separately and
> independently dug me up and asked if there is any way they could get the
> old version running since even now there is nothing like it and since it
> really helped their students significantly.

Members of the silent majority I suppose.

> Why are you guys so negative?
>
> Just to help the autistics out there, that is a rhetorical question.

Not a very good one given the circumstances. I might ask why you are
so intolerant of autism.
From: Gregor Kofler on
Am 2010-06-08 16:38, schrieb Kenneth Tilton:
> David Mark wrote:
>> Those bloated widgets and OO syntactic sugar are bad for you. Like
>> junk food, they'll give you a quick rush. Then you come back down to
>> earth and realize you haven't budged from ground zero.
>
> You sound like me talking about 4GLs. ie, I know the issue and fully
> considered it. The balance is in favor of having a great library that
> takes a bit longer to load. We can continue this after I install the
> "build" version which has the thing down to anywhere between 850-1059kb
> in one file, depending on the optimizations I turn on.
>
> btw, the Amazon AWS UI uses YUI. I guess they do not know anything about
> web programming either.

They know definitely nothing about client-side scripting. And nothing
about web authoring.
Can't say anything about their server-side expertise, though.

Gregor
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: qooxlisp live