From: Gregor Kofler on
Am 2010-06-08 20:15, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn meinte:

[snip]

> Yeah, sure. Must be great living in fairytale land. Ignorance is bliss,
> yes?

"Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here: Why oh why
didn't I take the BLUE pill?" [1]

Gregor

[1] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133093/quotes?qt0324267

--
http://www.gregorkofler.com
From: Garrett Smith on
On 6/8/2010 11:44 AM, David Mark wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2:15 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn<PointedE...(a)web.de>
> wrote:
>> Kenneth Tilton wrote:

[...]

> NOSCRIPT element as well. It's a clinic on how not to write a Web
> page (as are so many sites these days).

Can you elaborate on the problems with the NOSCRIPT element?

Garrett
From: Steve Graham on
On Jun 8, 2:00 pm, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >> bullies and they totally need to be laughed at, not listened to.
>
> > Come on, posting a demo that doesn't work properly and then prickling
> > at criticisms of it is not going to win you a Good Netizen award.
> > Imagine this instead:

> > bug.
>
> > That would not earn you particularly many rebukes.
>
> >> You have a sick little cult in this NG, self-important and posturing,
>
> > s/You/We.
>
> > You're posting here too.
>
> >> utterly convinced of themselves while the silent majority just rolls
> >> their eyes at them and gets on with their work. Speaking of which...
>
> > There is plenty of ego in this group, and it certainly has more than
> > its share of pedantic nonsense.  But you are posting your demo here
> > for some reason.  Is it just ego-gratification, do you simply want to
> > show the world how smart you are?  Or do you think there is
> > pedagogical value in sharing this with other people interested in
> > Javascript?  Or are you here like most people asking for discussion,
> > critiques, suggestions for your code?
>
> > If it's the latter, then I think you need to be a little less
> > defensive and to listen a little more carefully.
>
> No, I am incredibly busy with real work and just taking a moment to
> share something with other people excited about technology. The
> anti-library crowd in here is just how I get the publicity.
>
> I like sharing cool technology, and qooxlisp is that. I know well,
> however, that doing o/s increases the effort of developing something by
> a factor of 27, possibly 81. Me not go there, got Algebra to do.

> >> I have the whole review somewhere, but a digital version could be tough
> >> to dig up. If you are seriously interested I'll look for it.
>
> > I'm not.
>
> > I am getting confused though between your demo, the software you say
> > received such high praise and the software that -- is it web software
> > that you're currently developing?  Your quote, in this context,
> > sounded like it was supposed to be related to the software relevant
> > for this group.
>
> It was in my sig. It mentioned Algebra clearly both times. I have been
> talking about and demoing a Lisp+qooxdoo framework, and did not say a
> word about Algebra until one of the hyenas started chewing on it for no
> reason other than to have an opportunity for more abuse.
>
> I owe the hyena a beer for the excuse to spam that, tho.

> >> No, it was written originally for the Mac, in C. The defter of the
> >> intellects in this group might be able to figure out I have decided to
> >> release it as a web app, hence qooxlisp. ie, plaintiff was confusing the
> >> present with the past.
>
> > The confusion is not surprising.  You're here discussing some software
> > that you're releasing, but seem to be promoting it with a quote that
> > long predates this new software.
>
> See above. My other sig quotes Elwood P. Dowd about the importance of
> being pleasant. Does anyone think I am selling DVDs of Harvey when I

Kenny,

Why does it load so much faster in Chrome? I've yet to see it load in
FF or IE.

Steve
From: David Mark on
On Jun 8, 5:26 pm, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/8/2010 11:44 AM, David Mark wrote:
>
> > On Jun 8, 2:15 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn<PointedE...(a)web.de>
> > wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > NOSCRIPT element as well.  It's a clinic on how not to write a Web
> > page (as are so many sites these days).
>
> Can you elaborate on the problems with the NOSCRIPT element?

How soon we forget. For about the gazillionth time, it's almost
completely useless.

You replace static content with enhancements. So you don't need a
special "Your browser does not support Javascript" message, which are
now found on virtually every document on the Web, rendering most JS-
related searches useless.

Furthermore, the message may not be accurate. My browser may support
Javascript, but perhaps I disabled it. You can't change the message
to "Please enable Javascript" either as my agent may not support
scripting at all (and many users don't know what JS is anyway).

Anything else you might consider putting in there would do just as
well outside of a NOSCRIPT element. If scripting is missing, lacking
or disabled, it remains. If not, it is replaced.

HTH and add a FAQ entry if this question is not already covered. It's
certainly been asked and answered here ad nauseam.
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Steve Graham wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2:00 pm, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> [snip full quote]
>
> Kenny,
>
> Why does it load so much faster in Chrome? I've yet to see it load in
> FF or IE.

Crosspost: 2 newsgroups
Attribution: 1 line
Quotation: 202 lines