From: Helbrax on
On Jun 7, 4:26 pm, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> The qooxlisp apropos example can now actually be run here (ignore the
> site name):
>
>    http://www.teamalgebra.com/
>
> For additional laughs, the server is running on a $2/day Amazon EC2
> Fedora Core 8. So it might disappear spontaneously.
>
> Unfortunately I am intermittently having FireFox/IE* not want to
> acknowledge when I hit Enter, in which case you won't be able to play
> much. I'll investigate and/or put the search button back in to beat the
> thing into submission.
>
> kt
>
> * I just got a report of a Chrome user having the same problem, so I am
> starting to think I am sometimes** sending the JS over such that it runs
> in the wrong order.
>
> ** Cells by default orders non-deterministically. There is a mechanism
> for corralling the beast where this pisses off an external library, but
> these cases have to be identified and coded for. Methinks I have such a
> case -- browsers that generally do not work have been observed to work.
> Then not again.
>
> kt
>
> --http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
> "The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."
> Macworld

Ok after about a million tries in a few different browsers, I finally
got it to load. Have no idea what it's supposed to do, but I don't
understand why it would take so long to load from a visual
perspective.

From the .js
>if (!window.qx) window.qx = {};

Wouldn't the following better?
var qx;
if(!qx) {
qx = {};
}
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Helbrax wrote:

> Kenneth Tilton wrote:
>> [<http://www.stuckonalgebra.com>]
>
> Ok after about a million tries in a few different browsers, I finally
> got it to load. Have no idea what it's supposed to do, but I don't
> understand why it would take so long to load from a visual
> perspective.

Scanning through the 3 MiB of source code, I am sure the browser sniffing
constitutes a large portion of it.

> From the .js
>> if (!window.qx) window.qx = {};
>
> Wouldn't the following better?
> var qx;
> if(!qx) {
> qx = {};
> }

Of course it would. Only a neophyte or fool would risk augmenting a host
object like that referred to by `window'.

If you are not concerned about statement order reflecting execution order,
you could even do

if (!qx)
{
var qx = {};
}

and save one maintenance step (see ES3, section 10.1.3, and ES5, section
10.5).

F'up2 cljs (please only crosspost when necessary)

PointedEars
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f806at$ail$1$8300dec7(a)news.demon.co.uk>
From: David Mark on
On Jun 8, 11:14 am, Helbrax <linn.wh...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 4:26 pm, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > The qooxlisp apropos example can now actually be run here (ignore the
> > site name):
>
> >    http://www.teamalgebra.com/
>
> > For additional laughs, the server is running on a $2/day Amazon EC2
> > Fedora Core 8. So it might disappear spontaneously.
>
> > Unfortunately I am intermittently having FireFox/IE* not want to
> > acknowledge when I hit Enter, in which case you won't be able to play
> > much. I'll investigate and/or put the search button back in to beat the
> > thing into submission.
>
> > kt
>
> > * I just got a report of a Chrome user having the same problem, so I am
> > starting to think I am sometimes** sending the JS over such that it runs
> > in the wrong order.
>
> > ** Cells by default orders non-deterministically. There is a mechanism
> > for corralling the beast where this pisses off an external library, but
> > these cases have to be identified and coded for. Methinks I have such a
> > case -- browsers that generally do not work have been observed to work.
> > Then not again.
>
> > kt
>
> > --http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
> > "The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."
> > Macworld
>
> Ok after about a million tries in a few different browsers, I finally
> got it to load.  Have no idea what it's supposed to do, but I don't
> understand why it would take so long to load from a visual
> perspective.
>
> From the .js
>
> >if (!window.qx) window.qx = {};
>
> Wouldn't the following better?
> var qx;
> if(!qx) {
>     qx = {};
>
> }

Yes. Much better. It's a somewhat minor detail, but a good indicator
of bad things to come.
From: Kenneth Tilton on
Helbrax wrote:
> On Jun 7, 4:26 pm, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> The qooxlisp apropos example can now actually be run here (ignore the
>> site name):
>>
>> http://www.teamalgebra.com/
>>
>> For additional laughs, the server is running on a $2/day Amazon EC2
>> Fedora Core 8. So it might disappear spontaneously.
>>
>> Unfortunately I am intermittently having FireFox/IE* not want to
>> acknowledge when I hit Enter, in which case you won't be able to play
>> much. I'll investigate and/or put the search button back in to beat the
>> thing into submission.
>>
>> kt
>>
>> * I just got a report of a Chrome user having the same problem, so I am
>> starting to think I am sometimes** sending the JS over such that it runs
>> in the wrong order.
>>
>> ** Cells by default orders non-deterministically. There is a mechanism
>> for corralling the beast where this pisses off an external library, but
>> these cases have to be identified and coded for. Methinks I have such a
>> case -- browsers that generally do not work have been observed to work.
>> Then not again.
>>
>> kt
>>
>> --http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
>> "The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."
>> Macworld
>
> Ok after about a million tries in a few different browsers, I finally
> got it to load. Have no idea what it's supposed to do, but I don't
> understand why it would take so long to load from a visual
> perspective.

Thx for your persistence. The new version works off a so-called build
release of the app, puts everything in one file (1050kb). Loads in 1-2s
for me lotsa places. Trying the Mac next.

kt