From: no name no spam on

Hello,

I have been using quicken since the 90's and have
been quite dismayed by how the software quality
gets worse every version. I have Quicken Basic
2007 which is about to expire. I don't see a
basic 2010 version now. I do see a 2010 starter
but everything I read about this new version
says is sucks horribly and does not even have the
functionality the basic version I have does.

on amazon it is rated 2 stars and would be lower
accept for some inuit home town reviews.

Average Customer Review
2.1 out of 5 stars (27 customer reviews)

Is there really a version 2010 basic hidden somewhere
on there site that I can't find or is everything
I am hearing true ?

From: Han on
no name no spam <donthave(a)email-address.none> wrote in

> Hello,
>
> I have been using quicken since the 90's and have
> been quite dismayed by how the software quality
> gets worse every version. I have Quicken Basic
> 2007 which is about to expire. I don't see a
> basic 2010 version now. I do see a 2010 starter
> but everything I read about this new version
> says is sucks horribly and does not even have the
> functionality the basic version I have does.
>
> on amazon it is rated 2 stars and would be lower
> accept for some inuit home town reviews.
>
> Average Customer Review
> 2.1 out of 5 stars (27 customer reviews)
>
> Is there really a version 2010 basic hidden somewhere
> on there site that I can't find or is everything
> I am hearing true ?

The basic version is what some compaanies put on the compter when you buy
it. It is useless for anyone who wants to use it, but it is a "teaser"
that gets some people involved in it, and they then buy one of the higher
versions. It has been like that for quite a few years now (?how many, I
don't know).

Go on Ebay and get the cheapest version (but higher than basic) that you
want. Keep in mind that the features of Quicken of Quicken that require
Quicken to go on the net will expire, as forced by Quicken, in 3 years
after the year of the version. There are some helpful and many annoying
features thrown in every year. You are required to get used to them, or
give up <grin>. I have little problems with it, and I am >65. <grin>.

--
Best regards
Han
From: Laura on
no name no spam wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been using quicken since the 90's and have
> been quite dismayed by how the software quality
> gets worse every version. I have Quicken Basic
> 2007 which is about to expire. I don't see a
> basic 2010 version now. I do see a 2010 starter
> but everything I read about this new version
> says is sucks horribly and does not even have the
> functionality the basic version I have does.
>
> on amazon it is rated 2 stars and would be lower
> accept for some inuit home town reviews.
>
> Average Customer Review
> 2.1 out of 5 stars (27 customer reviews)
>
> Is there really a version 2010 basic hidden somewhere
> on there site that I can't find or is everything
> I am hearing true ?

They eliminated the "Basic" version a few years ago. The lowest level of
Quicken for existing Intuit users is the Deluxe version.

According to the Intuit website: "Note: Quicken Starter Edition 2010
imports data from Quicken Starter Edition 2008 and 2009 products only."
Given that footnote the Quicken starter program is not an option if you
want to update your current Quicken file to a 2010 version. You could
buy the Starter edition if you wanted to start a new file.
From: John Pollard on
Han wrote:

> The basic version is what some compaanies put on the compter when you
> buy it. It is useless for anyone who wants to use it, but it is a
> "teaser" that gets some people involved in it, and they then buy one
> of the higher versions. It has been like that for quite a few years
> now (?how many, I don't know).

I hate to disagree, but you're wrong.

Quicken "Basic" has been discontinued, but it was never the "teaser"
version of Quicken. The "teaser" version of Quicken was originally called
the "New User" version, and its name was subsequently changed to the
"Starter Edition" version. Both names should have been seen as a clue to
their long term value ... especially since their cost was negligible ...
and often zero.

[I would not say that the "New User" or "Starter Edition" versions of
Quicken were/are useless ... their usefullness was limited, intentionally.
They provided a dirt cheap way to find out whether a user "might" like
Quicken.]

The most limited version of Quicken today - other than the "Starter
Edition" is "Deluxe". I suspect that the vast majority of Quicken users
will find Deluxe can handle their needs. Those that don't can upgrade.

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Han on
"John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote in

> Han wrote:
>>
>> The basic version is what some compaanies put on the compter when you
>> buy it. It is useless for anyone who wants to use it, but it is a
>> "teaser" that gets some people involved in it, and they then buy one
>> of the higher versions. It has been like that for quite a few years
>> now (?how many, I don't know).
>
> I hate to disagree, but you're wrong.
>
> Quicken "Basic" has been discontinued, but it was never the "teaser"
> version of Quicken. The "teaser" version of Quicken was originally
> called the "New User" version, and its name was subsequently changed
> to the "Starter Edition" version. Both names should have been seen as
> a clue to their long term value ... especially since their cost was
> negligible ... and often zero.
>
> [I would not say that the "New User" or "Starter Edition" versions of
> Quicken were/are useless ... their usefullness was limited,
> intentionally. They provided a dirt cheap way to find out whether a
> user "might" like Quicken.]
>
> The most limited version of Quicken today - other than the "Starter
> Edition" is "Deluxe". I suspect that the vast majority of Quicken
> users will find Deluxe can handle their needs. Those that don't can
> upgrade.

Thanks John for pointing that out!
Sorry for my wrong use of names for the useless edition of Quicken ... I
uess that points out the error of Intuits ways. They basically (pun
intended) discarded name recognition in their promotions.

What remains is that most people are served quite well by the most
inexpensive version of Quicken, certainly since Q2008.

--
Best regards
Han