From: Nick Del Vecchio on
I have several front ends on different computers connected to a single
backend on a shared folder on one of the computers. All is fine
untill I update the front ends and then have to manually re-link each
one with the backend. Since I am modifying the front end on my own
machine and then copying it to the other machines, the path to the
back end will not be the same.

Is there a way I could have a small text file or excel file in the
same folder as the front end that has the location of the backend and
use it to somehow to relink the tables?
From: golfinray on
Google "Tony Toews." He has a fantastic FE updater on his website.
--
Milton Purdy
ACCESS

From: John W. Vinson on

http://www.granite.ab.ca/access
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Nick Del Vecchio on
Yes that is an impressive tool. But not really what I'm looking for.

I'd like to hard code the startup form to look for a file in the
current folder that has the path to the backend.
The file could be an excel file or text or even another database.
This way, I could set up each individual machine once with their own
path to the backend.
Then as I update the front end, it will always look at the file in its
own folder for the location to the backend.

Is that possible?

From: PieterLinden via AccessMonster.com on
Nick Del Vecchio wrote:
>Yes that is an impressive tool. But not really what I'm looking for.
>
>I'd like to hard code the startup form to look for a file in the
>current folder that has the path to the backend.
>The file could be an excel file or text or even another database.
>This way, I could set up each individual machine once with their own
>path to the backend.
>Then as I update the front end, it will always look at the file in its
>own folder for the location to the backend.
>
>Is that possible?

I don't get it... Is each user connecting to a different backend? You can
use the UNC path to the backend file to connect. Why not store it in a
custom property in the database? Then the user cannot modify it unless he
knows how...

I suppose you could try reading from a text file by using LineInput and
friends... can't find any documentation on them anymore... I guess the Access
folks decided that nobody needs it anymore...