From: Jamie Kahn Genet on
John Varela <newlamps(a)verizon.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:28:27 UTC, "Thomas R. Kettler"
> <tkettler(a)blownfuse.net> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <replytome-929319.12213710082010(a)reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.
> > example.com>,
> > Suze <replytome(a)thenewsgroup.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In article
> > > <fbaa2cb4-a640-4bcb-be9a-b01c86aea15a(a)y32g2000prc.googlegroups.com>,

> > > Turn on-off switch to off. Then turn it back on. It should mount.
> >
> > Some external hard drives do not have on-off switches.
>
> I have one like that. I reach behind it and pull the power plug,
> then plug it back in. That's only marginally more difficult than
> flipping a switch off and on.

Much easier on the drive to use Disk Utility.
From: Larry Gusaas on

On 2010/08/13 4:19 PM jamiekg(a)wizardling.geek.nz (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:
> John Varela<newlamps(a)verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:28:27 UTC, "Thomas R. Kettler"
>> <tkettler(a)blownfuse.net> wrote:
>>
>>> In article
>>> <replytome-929319.12213710082010(a)reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.
>>> example.com>,

>>> Some external hard drives do not have on-off switches.
>> I have one like that. I reach behind it and pull the power plug,
>> then plug it back in. That's only marginally more difficult than
>> flipping a switch off and on.
> Much easier on the drive to use Disk Utility.

Why? Please explain.

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada

From: Jamie Kahn Genet on
Larry Gusaas <larry.gusaas(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2010/08/13 4:19 PM jamiekg(a)wizardling.geek.nz (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:
> > John Varela<newlamps(a)verizon.net> wrote:

> >> I have one like that. I reach behind it and pull the power plug,
> >> then plug it back in. That's only marginally more difficult than
> >> flipping a switch off and on.
> > Much easier on the drive to use Disk Utility.
>
> Why? Please explain.

Turning off a HD by yanking the power cord can be dangerous if the
platters are still spinning and the read/write head crashes. It's very
rare nowadays with better drive technology, but old habits die hard (and
I'm somewhat paranoid). Perhaps of more importance is how the sudden
jolt of electricity caused by plugging a HD in, and it's whole warmup
routine slowly wears out the drive. IME to get maximum lifespan for a HD
you should leave it on and uninterrupted as much as possible. Just my
two cents :-)