From: Don Burn on
This is a valid security issue, people were bypassing file system
security by reading the raw sectors. You can read and write the parts
of the disk that are not part of a file system partition but not bypass
the file system. Personally, I agree with the logic.

--
Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)
Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting

signature database 4851 (20100209) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: Corinna Vinschen on
Don Burn wrote:
> Actually starting with Vista you cannot access the raw sectors on the disk
> while the disk is mounted for normal file operations. So your claim is
> incorrect.

I was a bit surprised by this, so I just tested it again under Windows
Server 2008 and under Windows 7. It works still fine to access the
system disk and all partitions on it, including the system partition,
for reading from Cygwin. This is pure user space, with full admin
rights. Did you mean access is denied for writing, by any chance?
I didn't test that, for obvious reasons...

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Project Co-Leader
From: Boba on
> This is a valid security issue, people were bypassing file system security
> by reading the raw sectors. You can read and write the parts of the disk
> that are not part of a file system partition but not bypass the file
> system. Personally, I agree with the logic.

yes, very good point. i still don't understand why
would just reading the raw sectors compromise system's
security. in my case, all i need is the x_READ access.

From: Boba on
"Corinna Vinschen" <corinna(a)community.nospam> wrote in message
> I just tested it again under Windows
> Server 2008 and under Windows 7.
> It works still fine to access the
> system disk and all partitions on it,
> including the system partition,
> for reading from Cygwin. This is
> pure user space, with full admin
> rights.

many thanks for the test! good news.

From: Don Burn on

This surprises me, I know that when Vista came out this could not be
done, it is possible that Microsoft changed the model.