From: Richard Quadling on
On 1 June 2010 16:31, Richard Quadling <rquadling(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> $re1 = '/^[a-z]++$/i';

^[a-z]++$

Assert position at the beginning of a line (at beginning of the string
or after a line break character) «^»
Match a single character in the range between “a” and “z” «[a-z]++»
Between one and unlimited times, as many times as possible, without
giving back (possessive) «++»
Assert position at the end of a line (at the end of the string or
before a line break character) «$»

> $re2 = '/^[a-z ]++$/i';

^[a-z ]++$

Assert position at the beginning of a line (at beginning of the string
or after a line break character) «^»
Match a single character present in the list below «[a-z ]++»
Between one and unlimited times, as many times as possible, without
giving back (possessive) «++»
A character in the range between “a” and “z” «a-z»
The character “ ” « »

--
-----
Richard Quadling
From: Richard Quadling on
On 1 June 2010 16:33, Ashley Sheridan <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 16:31 +0100, Richard Quadling wrote:
>
> $re1 = '/^[a-z]++$/i';
> $re2 = '/^[a-z ]++$/i';
>

> --
> -----
> Richard Quadling
> "Standing on the shoulders of some very clever giants!"
> EE : http://www.experts-exchange.com/M_248814.html
> EE4Free : http://www.experts-exchange.com/becomeAnExpert.jsp
> Zend Certified Engineer : http://zend.com/zce.php?c=ZEND002498&r=213474731
> ZOPA : http://uk.zopa.com/member/RQuadling
>

> Why the double ++ in the expressions there? Surely one + would match the 1 or more characters that you need and the second one would just be surplus?
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

++ doesn't give back. As there is no need to do any backtracking, this
is supposed to be a slight optimization.

--
-----
From: Peter Lind on
On 1 June 2010 17:33, Ashley Sheridan <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 16:31 +0100, Richard Quadling wrote:
>
>> $re1 = '/^[a-z]++$/i';
>> $re2 = '/^[a-z ]++$/i';
>>

>> --
>> -----
>> Richard Quadling
>> "Standing on the shoulders of some very clever giants!"
>> EE : http://www.experts-exchange.com/M_248814.html
>> EE4Free : http://www.experts-exchange.com/becomeAnExpert.jsp
>> Zend Certified Engineer : http://zend.com/zce.php?c=ZEND002498&r=213474731
>> ZOPA : http://uk.zopa.com/member/RQuadling
>>

> Why the double ++ in the expressions there? Surely one + would match the
> 1 or more characters that you need and the second one would just be
> surplus?

Equally important: why have three people already done this persons
homework. 5 minutes googling would have answered this ...

--
<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 16:35 +0100, Richard Quadling wrote:

> On 1 June 2010 16:33, Ashley Sheridan <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 16:31 +0100, Richard Quadling wrote:
> >
> > $re1 = '/^[a-z]++$/i';
> > $re2 = '/^[a-z ]++$/i';
> >

> > --
> > -----
> > Richard Quadling
> > "Standing on the shoulders of some very clever giants!"
> > EE : http://www.experts-exchange.com/M_248814.html
> > EE4Free : http://www.experts-exchange.com/becomeAnExpert.jsp
> > Zend Certified Engineer : http://zend.com/zce.php?c=ZEND002498&r=213474731
> > ZOPA : http://uk.zopa.com/member/RQuadling
> >

> > Why the double ++ in the expressions there? Surely one + would match the 1 or more characters that you need and the second one would just be surplus?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ash
> > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
> >

> ++ doesn't give back. As there is no need to do any backtracking, this
> is supposed to be a slight optimization.
>

> --
> -----
> Richard Quadling
> "Standing on the shoulders of some very clever giants!"
> EE : http://www.experts-exchange.com/M_248814.html
> EE4Free : http://www.experts-exchange.com/becomeAnExpert.jsp
> Zend Certified Engineer : http://zend.com/zce.php?c=ZEND002498&r=213474731
> ZOPA : http://uk.zopa.com/member/RQuadling

Ah, I ought to have guessed as it's you! ;)

I didn't know about that in regex's, I've learnt something new today!

From: Richard Quadling on
On 1 June 2010 16:38, Ashley Sheridan <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> Ah, I ought to have guessed as it's you! ;)

What are you insinuating?

--
-----
Richard Quadling